CPU temp reaches 96C and restarts PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

b44g6

my computer starts with initial temp 75C, when starting a game or even a small program in reaches 96 and restarts, I changed the termal material between the CPU and the heatsink and made sure the fan is installed tightly, I thaught of underclocking because its cheeper but it didnt decrease the temp significantly. what solutions are there other than water cooling?
these are my computer's specs:

Intel original motherboard 915gux
intel pentium 3.0 Ghz LGA 775 socket
ATI HD 4350 PCI-E
2 GB Ram
2x 250 HDD

Thanx

You definitely should not require water cooling on that Pentium. What are the ambient temperatures like? I think that the thermal compund may have not been applied correctly or the contact between HSF and CPU is not sufficient. I hope you did not apply too much TIM. Sometimes that acts as an insulator resulting in very high temps. Remove the HSF and clean off all the residual TIM from it and the CPU. Ensure that nothing falls into the mobo as it could cause a short. Then re-apply the thermal compund and re-assemble it. If it still doesn't help, look to getting a better aftermarket HSF.

at what point did it start the temp spike? was this after moving the machine by chance?

On this rig after applying the thermal paste I noticed the smell of burning uh thermal paste, my tempatures were somewhat high, so I reapplied my thermal paste and it did the trick. A great deal of my original paste burned off, I doubt this is common, I was very careful applying it, but for some reason reapplying did the trick. As other have mentioned give this a try. +1 on reapply paste.

One thing you can do is open your case and point a household fan as a temporary fix. You can also just open your case, if opening your case gets you down to suitable tempatures alone without a fan pointed at it, then you need to upgrade or replace your backfan.

What case are you using? A link or a picture would be a great bonus :).

Did you recently change any of your hardware?

I did all that but it still heats up to 90 when playing games, I change the thermal paste, opened the case when playing (helped a little), but still need an extreme solution.

Did you re-apply the TIM again? Like I said in my last post, it may be that you applied too much the last time round.

I would check on what ritwik7 said first. Then

Point a household fan at your computer with your case fully open and see how much of a difference that makes.

What case are you using? A link or a picture would be a great bonus .

Did you recently change any of your hardware aside from applying thermal paste?

it would be extremely helpful if you would answer the questions those here trying to help are asking, like post # 3 for example. I will try again,
assuming you applied/re-applied the thermal compound correctly.....
1) When did it start spiking temps?
2) Have you recently moved the machine?
3) Have you made any changes to the machine recently?
4) What are you getting these temp readings from?
a) If you are using speedfan for temp readings, try something else. this is excellent http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
5) What temp does your bios indicate?
6) What is the core voltage ?
7) Are you sure that the Heat sink is seated correctly
8) Have you made sure the cpu fan is running,and at the correct RPM, and not slowing down or stopping?
9) Are you sure the CPU is getting that hot?
a) Is it acting strangely? Lagging,BSOD,Hanging up, restarting, etc?
10) Have you check the Motherboard for cracks around the CPU socket?
11) Have you checked the screws/push pins to make sure they are not broken/stripped and applying even pressure on all sides?
what im attempting to ferret out is that this is an older machine and unless it has been running at 100C the whole time...something has changed, what is that something?
If you applied the Thermal compound correctly. it sounds as if the heat sink is not making proper contact, the fan is not spinning at all,or at the correct speed,or you have a bad sensor giving you a faulty reading.
as I see no remarks on your machine performing strangely. you don't list the exact model of your Pentium, but if its a P4 9xx series, top thermal spec is around 64c. If it was running at 96c, you would be having problems like the ones previously mentioned, and should be shutting itself down via the thermal shutdown limit set in the bios (unless it has been disabled) . you can also try the old fashioned method of a temperature check. Open the case and touch a metal part of the chassis to discharge any static electricity, then touch the heat sink. if its 90c+ , you will know it and not be able to touch it for long.
here is a tutorial on thermal compound application.
http://www.svc.com/article-thermal-compound.html

@ red1776 - That's the perfect (and most exhaustive) set of questions that would enable one to determine the exact issue.

Great post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back