CPU upgrade and now PC won't boot

So I upgraded my processor today and now when I try and boot up all the lights and fans turn on and I can hear the mechanical hard drive working but it doesn't output a picture. Also you can not turn it off via the power button. I've built plenty of rigs before but I've never ran across this issue. The sockets are correct for the CPU and I know the gpu is fully functional. Kinda stumped. Anyone have any ideas

No idea. I was actually doing an upgrade for a friend. He just informed me that it actually had the same issue before hand and was told his processor was fried. Hence he just asked me to do a processor upgrade. Everything turns on but no picture will out put. Also it won't turn back off via the power button. Have to totally kill the power with the psu or unplug. I'll try and get a second rug to test the gpu. But it's new with less than 30 hours on it so it should be fully functional. Possibly the mobo?

Most failures for electronic devices occur in the first 20-30 hours of use. Then you have a long period stretching over years before there is an 'end of life' bunch of failures. SO, video card MAY be the issue.

Rethink your approach.... IF the CPU you just installed was on the QVL (Qualified Vendor List - look up in 'support' at page for motherboard model at motherboard maker's website) and did NOT require an updated BIOS to run, it seems prior diagnosis was wrong.

I suggest you consider a more thorough troubleshooting.. http://www.computerhope.com/basic.htm

When I encounter problems like yours, I download manuals for motherboard and video card, check QVL, remove everything from case, rebuild on bench top - first with both RAM and video card removed to be sure I get beep codes ( http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm ) - then adding back RAM, then video card, etc, etc to make sure I have viable basic operation.

Need details to proceed (motherboard tells you BIOS version tells you beep codes meaning, etc). We are glad to help, but need those details (OS, motherboard maker/model/version, video card model, CPU, PSU model, etc PLUS details about your steps taken and results in troubleshooting).

Good luck.

Back