CPU usage maxed out

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjy20

(I already posted about this yesterday but then i was told to use system restore which worked fine, until now and the problem has recurred. Sorry to repost a thread but the last thread has been finished).

Ive had no problems with my pc recently until I installed FEAR a few days ago. I tried playing it but everything was horribly jerky and must have been running at about 2 fps. This was crazy becasue even when i had on lowest resolution and and everything turned off it was hardly any better. My specs are

Athlon 2500xp
2 x 512mb RAM
BFG Geforce 6800GS 256mb

So you can see that this is obviously not right. I have uninstalled the game now but my pc is running unbelievably slow. It takes at least 2 mins to open firefox or even my my computer. I tried playing some other games that are normally fine but they are unplayable now with low fps, and they take about 10 mins to actually come on. I just noticed on the task manager that my cpu usage is at maximum, even though i dont have any programs open and have removed as many background processes as possible. Temperature is 75 C. What could have caused this and why is the cpu running at 100%?

Its fine once it boots, cpu usage is low until any application is opened then once it hits 100% it just stays there and never comes back down again, no idea why this is.

The symptoms your describing are beginning to sound more like spyware than a problem with FEAR.Are you sure you didn`t download a few nasties along with FEAR ?

Try going into Safe Mode - http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml If it still runs slowly,that might rule out the spyware possibility.It wouldn`t hurt to run a few scans with Ewido and Bit Defender or Trend Micro whilst in there,though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back