Crashing: Memory, Video card or Driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whiffen

Recently I have been experiencing frequent crashes in-game followed by 5-10 seconds of hang time. When I first built my PC last Christmas I would never have one, but in the last month or two it is almost every time I play. I posted the kinds of errors I get in the picture below. If I don't crash I usually get artifacts in game, distorted and glitched images, instead.

I believe it is caused by either my Memory (1GB Corsair PC-5300 (667Mhz) Value RAM)
or my video card ( Evga, Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS 256Mb)

I temporarily had access to 2GB more PC-5300 but it was from a different brand not Corsair, but I thought what the hell and put it in with my other RAM while I had them. I no longer do and am back to my 1GB Corsair PC-5300 (667Mhz) Value RAM.
I did try to overclock my video card but not with the intention to keep it over clocked, just to see what performance it could achieve.

I did both of these things around the same time so I don't know when it started.

It could be drivers or other settings in Windows XP but I doubt it because I just reformatted a few days ago and still crash just as much as I did before reformatting.

My guess is the memory but I'm not 100% sure. Any Ideas what I should do first?

Maybe I'll do a stress test.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 5
Alright, I got a chance to run it last night. ;)

11 passes and 0 errors found.

Could the problem be not having enough free memory maybe?

Hmm...I wouldn't suspect running out of RAM...

Videocard time...do you have any onboard video to test this out with? (lol I know, you'll get sucky frame rates, but it's worth a try).

EDIT: Did you have to change the voltage on the other 2GB you put in? Maybe you forgot to change it back?

Nope, I didn't touch the voltages. On the video card I got these OC's

Core clock from 460MHz to 560MHz
Memory clock from 300MHz to 480MHz

But that was all I touched and it was just for 10 min and then I reset to their default setting.

I'm gonna clean my PC tomorrow and do a uber wiring job this time, so I'll take the vid card out then. I would do it now but some people are over and they want to use my computer when I'm done =p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back