Crazy low scores on 3dMark2001SE with 7600GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

javakins

Hey guys,

I guessed it would just be a matter of time before I had to post about my new video card, nothing's ever that easy is it? :)

Earlier this week, I replaced my Gigabyte FX5900XT with an XFX 7600GT AGP - everything's set up fine now, and games *seem* to run okay (I've been told the framerates for CS:S are a bit on the low side) and generally I'm happy.

What's been particularly disconcerting though, is that the card is scoring about 12500 in 3DMark2001SE - less than the old FX5900XT!

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=9094487

My system specs are in the profile: it's an older machine by today's standards (133mhz FSB, 2.66ghz P4, 1Gb RAM) but still - that doesn't explain such low scores?

Currently overclocked to 640/780, it scores around 2800 in 3DMark06 - I guess that's particularly decent for a mid-range card.

I've used Driver Cleaner Pro to remove all old drivers, and reinstalled the latest Forcewares (93.71) with no luck.

Any ideas?

You got some nice scores actualy, Also with your test ( couldnt see ) what was resolution from your card and the old one? Resolution can mess with scores because I had a 7900 vs. 7800 and the 7800 got a better score because I had lower resolution then other

Hope I helped ;)

Thanks for that - no, the resolutions are definitely the same: 1024x768, no FSAA, 32-bit color. 12k+ is not particularly good, as stock reviews for the card pitch it at 22k+, and some others have seen about 30k.

Strange thing is, overclocking it makes a difference in 3dMark06, but not 01!

Am still trawling other boards for a solution - I found one person with the same card and issue, and his solution was to reinstall Windows, which I would hate to have to do :-T

It's probably your processor. Pentium 4s aren't good for gaming normally and that one especially so since it's a Northwood core. I had a faster Northwood than you (2.26GHz overclocked to 2.72GHz) about 5 months ago. It, coupled with my Radeon 9800pro got about 11800 in 3dMark2001.

3DMark01 is severely CPU limited, check the reviews to see what CPU was used. Each release of 3DMark relies more on the video card and less on the CPU. The thing is your 3DMark06 score seems about right, you can try 3DMark05 to confirm it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back