Crazy Noise....Any Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Compaq Presario M2000 laptop, almost 2 years old. Never any problems until about a week ago, when it started making a bizarre noise. The noise ONLY happens when I'm in Internet Explorer, when I change webpages or open a new link. It's a quick, harsh, buzzing noise, and it is silenceable by muting the volume. But I have no idea what causes it, and it's really annoying. Beyond the annoyance factor, I'm worried that it's a harbinger of something worse to come, like the death of my sound card or something. Anyone experienced this?

You might try to update some drivers like sound drivers. Are you keeping up with Microsoft's critical updates, using the online Microsoft Update utility?

Thanks for the reply. I am keeping up with the updates, yes. How do I update a sound card? Does that require taking the computer somewhere to be opened up?

No, just go to the HP website and search for your Compaq's model under support. Find driver downloads and download and install the sound drivers for your model. Laptops do not have sound cards, they have sound chips the are part of the motherboards. You call this "on-board" sound

Chances are that it IE causing the problems if it was hardware related it would affect a lot more than just IE, what version of IE are you running, have you changed anything, setting, version ect... You can always try to reinstall it or better yet switch to firefox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back