Creative Labs unveils gaming headsets with embedded Axx processor

Shawn Knight

Staff member

creative labs sound blaster evo axx creative evo sound blaster headsets

Creative Technology on Wednesday announced two new wireless headsets, the Creative Sound Blaster EVO ZxR and Sound Blaster EVO Zx, that feature an embedded multi-core Sound Blaster SB-Axx1 processor designed to boost the overall quality of music, movies, games and more.

Most headsets on the market, even high-end units, have a single job – to produce audio exactly as it’s distributed, often times from a compressed source like an MP3 file, YouTube or other video sharing source, streamed music or even mobile game – regardless of quality.

That’s not the case with Creative’s latest, however, as they are designed to intelligently enhance audio in real-time. It’s the same sort of technology that enthusiasts have enjoyed from Creative Sound Blaster PC sound cards, the company said in a press release on the matter.

The headsets aren’t just for listening to audio, however, as a dual microphone array concealed in the ear cups of each unit allow them to be used with smartphones, tablets and computers for voice chat. The headsets can connect to devices using the aptX and AAC Bluetooth codecs, near-field communication and over a wired USB connection should your gadget or computer not support wireless technologies.

The Sound Blaster EVO ZxR with 50mm drivers and active noise cancellation will retail for GBP249.99 ($391.91) while the lesser Sound Blaster EVO Zx with its 40mm drivers will set you back GBP199.99 ($315.51). They’ll be available in the UK later this summer, we’re told.

Permalink to story.

They didn't go all the way with this, adding a small flash storage so one can download MP3-s right into the unit and play independently. Now that would be interesting...

Quick, before somebody patents this and sells as iHeadphones! :)

They didn't go all the way with this, adding a small flash storage so one can download MP3-s right into the unit and play independently. Now that would be interesting...

Quick, before somebody patents this and sells as iHeadphones! :)

That would require a subscription ;) lol. Record companies will never allow that :(.

I kinda saw this coming for a very long time and I actually think they needed to do this much, much earlier. but the price points are a bit too high. maybe when others release something similar we'll get better prices.

I kinda saw this coming for a very long time and I actually think they needed to do this much, much earlier. but the price points are a bit too high. maybe when others release something similar we'll get better prices.

Yeah, I am not to big into headsets, but I have never heard of Creative Labs other than sound cards. They cant keep up with the marketing of bigger companies like Razer and Logitech.

Back