Cursor Loss and Flashing Black Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

RX_Queen

I have since learnt my problem is OS related. I have started another thread in OS section. Can this be deleted?

]Hello.

Apologies for the long post! I hope this is in the right area, and that someone might know what is wrong with my card.

I recently bought a PC from Zoostorm, and I've been happy with it so far as it's such an upgrade from the last one I had. I was also pleased that it contained an ATI card, as I'd had a few problems with Nvidia in the past. But recently things haven't been going so good, and no matter how many searches I do I can't seem to find someone with the same problem as me. I'm running a 4870, and from what I've read on it, it appears to be particularly buggy, but I'm praying somewhere out there is a solution. It would be such a shame to have to change it as it's less than a month old.

I play a lot of WoW and I've experienced two freezes. I'm not sure if the music is still playing as I never have it on anyway, and I didn't think at the time to check if it was affected. I couldn't tab out, so had to reboot both times.

Another problem I've had appears to be connected to tabbing out of the game, and may be set off by my character being AFK for a few minutes. I'll suddenly discover my cursor has disappeared and I'll tab out hoping to correct the issue, only to find my desktop has been replaced with a black screen, but several menus can be seen opening and closing, namely the start menu. My tab bar will be at the top of the screen. I can click on the start icon, but nothing happens. I've only ever been able to ctrl, alt + del twice, and have had to shut off WoW in the process screen. All other times I've had to reset my computer.

This problem has also occurred outside of WoW once. I literally came back from the bathroom to find a black screen and have no idea what set it off. I had come out of a game a while before, but had been happily browing the web before the problem occurred.

I intially thought that it might be a heat problem, as I remember an Nvidia card suffering some weird graphical glitches that were caused by heat, but this doesn't seem to be the problem. I downloaded a little vista gadget that monitors my card and have been watching it closely. It never rises above 48C, and I've only ever seen its fan come on once.

I'm at a loss at to what to do. I do have a 4670 I could replace it with, but I'm guessing I'd forfeit my warranty by replacing a part. I've tried updating drivers, but everything seems to be fine and I'm currently running Catalyst 9.6, which I think is the latest.

If anyone has any idea, or even if someone has experienced the same problem, I'd love to hear it! Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back