Daily BSODs after upgrading video card. Running Windows 7.

Hello all.
Since I got a new HD6950 (came from a GTS250, and since then I reinstalled like twice the OS), I'm having those freaking BSOD's. Mostly of them said it was a atikmpag.sys error. However, when I was running 3DMark11 tonight, I got a new one: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

Usually I try do find out a solution by myself, reading forums and gathering from internet. But I'm getting really tired of these BSOD's, and couldn't realize what's the real problem.

Current spec:
Asus M4N98TD EVO
Phenon II X4 945 @ 3750Mhz
OCZ 2x2GB @ 1333Mhz CL9
HIS HD6950 IceQ X Turbo 2GB GDDR5 @ 880Mhz / 1325Mhz
PSU Seventeen 550W
2 HDs - 80GB (which contains the OS) and 500GB for data.*

If I'm missing any other information that you need to help me, please let me know. I'll get it ASAP.

I'm attaching some minidumps, so you can check all the errors I've been getting.

Sorry for my english, and thanks in advance!

Nico.

*Ps.: Also another question off-topic: Switching to an SSD for the OS would increase my overall performance ?

Attachments

• Minidumps1.zip
    187 KB · Views: 1
  • Minidumps2.zip
    158 KB · Views: 0
  • Minidumps3.zip
    147.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Minidumps4.zip
    174.5 KB · Views: 0
I have gone through the first batch of the dumps which incidentally seems to the latest ones as well, and most of them either cited ATI catalyst driver (atikmpag.sys), remaining came back with hardware / memory corruption errors.

There can be two issues here, a) either your graphic card is faulty, or b) it is a driver issue.

a) Download OCCT and stress test your graphic card.

Download Driver Sweeper from here, and then latest Catalyst WHQL drivers (you can find them in Techspot download section).

b) Uninstall catalyst drivers, reboot, and run/install driver sweeper and remove any left over files, then install the latest drivers.

I have gone through the first batch of the dumps which incidentally seems to the latest ones as well, and most of them either cited ATI catalyst driver (atikmpag.sys), remaining came back with hardware / memory corruption errors.

There can be two issues here, a) either your graphic card is faulty, or b) it is a driver issue.

a) Download OCCT and stress test your graphic card.

Download Driver Sweeper from here, and then latest Catalyst WHQL drivers (you can find them in Techspot download section).

b) Uninstall catalyst drivers, reboot, and run/install driver sweeper and remove any left over files, then install the latest drivers.

Thanks for helping!
I've already tried the a) and b). In case of a), I wasnt able to run properly since it says that I need nVidia cards.
For b), I did this, and the pc kept smooth for about 1 hour. Then I tried to play World of Warcraft to test if it worked, but after like 5-10 mins of game in, the pc sudently powered off.
Before the catalyst update (I was using the july update) I was able to run 3DMark11, for the first time in 2-3 weeks of BSODs and it scored well (according to my rig).
Now, I'm affraid that these events has something to do with my PSU, which is 550W. It should give the necessary power tho...

Any sugestion ?
Thanks!

I have been looking for information on that PSU, and I haven't found much information about it.

There is a chance that the PSU is unable to provide the required power under load. It would be prudent to take the PSU to some tech, and ask him to check with multimeter, that the PSU is stably meeting the required power levels.

Also GPU memory and GPU OCCT test should run on your card, I have HD 6770M in this notebook and I can run both without any problem.

Thanks again for your fast answer.
I think I'm able to test the PSU, since I have multimeter and got some knowledge regarding hardwares. The only thing I would ask you (if you know how to instruct me, of course), is which cables I should test and how to test, at all.
Although I could look for this on google to know general tests, I don't know if you're talking about any particular test or something like that when you refer to get the PSU to a tech.

I'll also try OCCT again when I arrive from work. Do you have any advice on how much time I should leave the test going ?

Nico

No I was just referring to testing PSU with regard to voltage output on especially on 12V rails. By the way also ensure that 24 pin power connector of motherboard is seated and metal contacts properly connected with the pins.

It has default of one hour test in all categories and I think that is sufficient enough in most cases.

Back