Dead or alive hd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue_dragon

I have a seagate 200gb ata hd. When it started giving me signs it started by giving off SMART errors and then to go undetected by the bios. It was fixed by simply dusting some dust bunnies and replugging it into the computer. When I came back home from college for turkey day,(2-3 weeks later) it failed again. This time I took it and the computer with me to college where I would test it with an external usb enclosure and on someone elses computer. I coulnt manage to get it to work on the enclosure or my floormates pc. I came back home for xmas and began to feel the hard drvie while the computer was on. It spins but it then seems to lose rpm's and the gain then back periodically. Is it dead or do I need to switch out the pcb? I personally think the pcb is fried because it did have a LOT of dust that I wipe with the plam of my hand. Then again in college I had place it on my chair and it fell for like 2 ft into the carpet..What do you guys think? Ive heard of the trick of switching pcbs but I dont have the money to risk messing up a brand new identical drive

Hey There,

I had a Seagate hardisk with the same problem. You could hear it round up and then lose RPMs. Also it would go undetected by the BIOS at startup giving me a no Master Hardisk detected and i had to plug it and unplug it just like you did. However in my case i don't think its dust! It was brand new and my system has 14 Fans so dust cannot just quite settle on someplace.

I use to work with it however it would stall every now and then leaving me no option but to reboot!

I had to replace the whole hardisk and didn't bother to play around with it. They are quire inexpensive nowadays!

Regards,
David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back