Dead power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conjon

Right i got myself a 600W EzCool power and it worked fine in my new gigabyte p31 mobo.
3 days later it turned itself off and would not work, I thought nothing of it went to bed and the next day it was working again.
However a few hours into the day it turned itself off a few more times, and eventually would not boot whatsoever.
Put my old 420W back in works fine and is quieter than what was meant to be a 'silent fan' that always ran quite loud.
Is there anyway to find out if the EzCool PSU is dead as it did not blow or anythin, it just refuses to work and the fan inside wont spin.
When i try to turn my pc on the fan on the CPU spins for about a second and dies but nothing from the PSU fan, any help would be appreciated thanks.

Sounds like a definate issue. I wouldnt recommend that brand. Your pc is as good quality as your pcu. There's not much u can do besides return it if you can.

Is your pc up against a wall maybe or in a closed cabinet?

Its open freely with the side off, as for taking it back well i got it off ebuyer who no longer sell the item, all much of an effort, i just thought there must be somethin happening if the cpu fan spins for a second.

check with the manufacturer of the PSU, u may have to prove when u bought it and from who, but they should take it back. try to get a better PSU, the PSU is the heart of a computer and without a good one the rest of the computer will not last long and u will have lots of problems.

Bursting at the Seams.......

Conjon said:
I've been told it may have something to do with my case, it being old and cant handle a higher watt PSU, anyhow I was thinking of buying a new one, was thinking about this, would u recommend it?
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135197
I've never heard of case/PSU "incompatibility", unless it simply wouldn't fit. The PSU is going to make heat based on the amount of watts being drawn from it, not by virtue of it's rated wattage. So, simply put, if you didn't fry your 420 in this machine there is no reason the 700 should have quit. Besides if the machine is running well on a 420 watt PSU, that should tell you it doesn't quite need a 700 anyway. This unless you plan on adding a high end video card.

I'd work on your case fan system while you're about the PSU issue, getting rid of heat in the case is always a good idea.

That was the thing it was never hot it just happened.
The 420 I have already noticed a lack in performance on my game and soon I will be upgrading to an e8200 CPU and I will be overclocking so I think upgrading to the 700 might be a good idea?
Also the 420W does not have an PCI-e power connectors im having to use an adapter.

Instead of buying garbage no-name PSUs, try getting this one instead. It's an FSP-made PSU delivering a max of 34A combined on both +12V rails. Far better build quality than the crappy ones you were using and thinking to buy, besides having enough power for any system equipped with a card upto the level of a Radeon HD 4870.

200W diffrennce doesn't matter?
does it only give out what it needs say for my 8600GTS only needs 350W

No. More important than total wattage is where the power is being delivered. A weak +12V rail and no active PFC are the hallmarks of a rubbish PSU, which those are. The 700W one probably only outputs 400W or so at room temperature and will probably blow when overloaded, taking other components with it. The OCZ one is of far better quality and will not cause any such problems.

Also, it delivers 35A on the +12V rails, and an 8600GTS-equipped system needs only 22A. Don't worry about anything getting fried due to the extra power, since the components will only pull the amount of power they need, so your PSU will only give the components the power they need and nothing more.

Conjon said:
200W diffrennce doesn't matter?
does it only give out what it needs say for my 8600GTS only needs 350W
It seems the new 8000 series are more efficient than the older 7000 series cards.

A 7600GT card would be slated for a 400 Watt PSU minimum, and would be happier with a 450 to 500. Those ratings that they give you about minimum requirements are just that, bare bones minimums, so they can get the card out of the door.

The 500 watt PSU Rage is recommending, will give your system some breathing room, and a little spare juice for an extra fan, or a couple of USB devices, an extra hard drive, maybe a DVD burner, whatever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back