Deaf or speakers broken, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i just finished with a move irl and i plugged my speakers in to listen to some music, and behold, I got nothing. No buzz, no nothing. I double checked that they were plugged into the right spot, and they were. I tried putting my other speakers in and those as well did not work. I'm relatively sure that my sound card (realtek) is broken, but i'm a noobie when it comes to hardware. I tried to update my driver but it could not find a new one.

My question is, is my sound card broken? And if so, what would it cost to replace it? If not, what could I try to fix this problem?

Have you checked Device Manager? Under Sound Audio and Game Controllers, what is listed there?
Do any items in Device Manager have an Exclamation point or question mark or are specially marked in some way?

Also in Device Manager, you could try uninstalling all the audio entries, and then restart and let XP find them again.
Otherwise check in Control Panel under the Audio and Multimedia areas for all the volume controls and check the audio tab and hardware tabs etc... Just peel through the screens one by one.

If all is in vain, you could quickly check your own speakers on another PC, just to rule it out. But after that, you may have to go down to the store and buy a basic sound card. You can find a PCI card for about $20. Or even a used one for less. Or a fancy one for more. Yadda yadda.

Good luck!

HuH? oh! Hello Welcome to TechSpot

Check in your bios, make sure it's set to onboard sound.
What kind of MoBo is this?

ensure your output matches your speaker type. Digital for digital, analog for analog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back