Dell D610. After shorting chip computer won`t turn on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dell D610 Service Tag:859V791 Express Service Code:17733161845
First I cant get pass the login screen but I know my BIOS and HDD passwords So I tried the shorting method but now my computer wont turn on the green power light comes on for like 5 seconds but the monitor doesnt come on and when I plug in the adaptor it doesnt bring up the charge light

Please use proper thread titles from now on. Thanks.

Hang on

You know the login password... is that the one to login to windows ?

Why did you short the laptop, what were you trying to achieve.

Did you read the thread in here about how to short coz it sounds like you have stuffed the board, this can happen if the short is done incorrectly or held for to long.

Regards

No I dont know the login and the guide said to short it but I didnt know if I held it too long it just said short it so if the board is stuffed what do I do? and if I have to replace it How much will it cost.

A board for a 610 costs around £60 off ebay.

I still dont know what login you dont have... you dont explain yourself well at all.

Regards

...that's why I strongly recommend all of people, don't try to remove the security password using shorting method. it's dangerous.
much safer is to unsolder the eeprom and read it with programmer(for example - orange or ponyprog). such programmer is quite cheap and easy in use. the password is to store in keyboard scancodes.

lamo said:
don't try to remove the security password using shorting method. it's dangerous..

If done using the correct method its not dangerous, it does void any warranty and takes a steady hand, mind you I never met anyone with the shakes who wanted to try it.

lamo said:
much safer is to unsolder the eeprom.

Its tiny, do you think anyone but an experienced technician could honestly get that thing off the board without damaging it. I couldnt and I have been soldering sh*t since I was a boy....

lamo said:
and read it with programmer(for example - orange or ponyprog). such programmer is quite cheap and easy in use..

Oh and you need a second PC to run the software, the correct lead and someone who knows how to read the output from either program.

lamo said:
much safer is to unsolder the eeprom.

According to this site you need to have it on the laptop board as you can only read the chip as it powers on

Regards

ok. the shorting method dangerous because: if you accidentally make a short circuit between the vcc pin and GND pin you'll burn the LPC-bus wich lead right into the EC/KBC. in this case, you'll have to buy a new mobo for laptop, 'cos you can replace the EC/KBC chip only from same mobo. that's because the shorting method is dangerous. and it's easier way if you have the right hands :)
BTW the ready-made programmer(for instance - Orange) will costs only 50$. and the second PC, which can make this operation will costs 150$. how much the new mobo will be?
P.S. sorry for my english :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back