Dell Dimension 5150 won`t boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a newbie looking for help with my Dell Desktop. I hope someone can help me before I smash it! hahaha just joking.

Please use proper thread titles from now on. Thanks.

Thanks Halo...can I explain my problem to you pretty please? I bought a Dell Dimension 5150 last April, so the warranty is expired now. Go figure. Using Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2. The other day I woke up and it said I had 56 open windows in the Task Manager. I closed group and it seemed okay, but slow. I ended up shutting it down somehow and then the screen went sideways. Now I can't get it to boot up. It says floppy diskette seek failure. Strike F1 to continue, F2 to run set up utility. When I restart the computer it says...Loading PBR for descriptor 2....done. A disk READ error has occured, press Ctrl Alt Delete to restart. The only options I have are F2 and F12. I cannot restore it, I never could for that matter. DELL said they will talk to me if I pay them 49.00 for an incident warranty service. I don't want to give them money if my hard drive is shot. I had Norton Virus Internet Security on there. I use AOL too. Any ideas as to what caused this?

oh yea, i don't have a floppy drive either.

guarenty the AOL did nothing but make it worse, and Norton Virus Internet Security is of no use either.

I am sure you are right about that thanks. I brought it to the "Geek Squad" at Best Buy tonight. They said could be a bad hard drive or more likely that Windows got misconfigured somehow and needs to be reinstalled. We'll see if it's software or hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back