Dell Dimension 8250 compatible motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension 8250 and want to upgrade the memory on it. But I made the ill-fated decision 5 years ago to go with RDRAM and I find that it is too expensive today to upgrade it. My machine has the Intel 850e chipset.

Would anyone know of any motherboard that would be compatible with the processor, video/audio cards etc. that came with the 8250? I am looking to only change the motherboard so as to enable my to immediately upgrade the memory on it and later on if I so desire, I can upgrade the rest of it (psu, case etc.)

Thanks !!!
-- Bhargav

you may be better off starting off from scratch. If you do decide to replace your motherboard, make sure that the one going into the case is the proper one. It's either going to be atx (common), or btx (not so common) .

I doubt that you will be able to use the same case, the Dell case uses a proprietary (Only used by Dell) connector for the on switch. And if you cant use the same case, then you cant use the same PSU. On top of that, if you do install a new mobo, you will have to reinstall XP (or whatever you have).

Almost all of the Dell Optiplex boards will work... an Optiplex 280 series is a perfect trade, or an Optiplex 240, 260, or 270... But the perfect board, I think, is the Dell 8400 board. You see them occasionally on eBay... for a cheap board, the Dell XL170... You can look up their memory choices on www.crucial.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back