Dell Dimension System Battery??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dell Dimension Desktop 8400 Windows XP Pro

I received a message a day or so ago alerting me that my System Battery Voltage was low. I then read a couple of forums at Dell with people saying that it, for them, was their Belkin Surge Protector (I use one with my computer). I want to find out if my System Battery actually does need replacing or not, but don't know how to see my battery's charge. It's nearly 2 years old and I don't think it would need one by now

How can I find what my system battery charge is so I can determine whether or not I actually need to replace it??

Robby

It is probably referring to the button-cell battery (usually a CR2032) on the motherboard that is responisble for keeping the CMOS memory. This battery is important for keeping the bios settings and system clock correct. You can buy a replacement at any Radio Shack and most computer shops.These batteries usually run about $3.

You can even get these batteries at Wal-Mart. These should last 4, 6 or even 8 years. Don't forget, you'll have to set the bios after replacing the battery

i know where to get one, it's just that i don't know if i have to go through the hassle of getting one. I don't know if the alert was just a glitch from a crappy Belkin Surge Protector or if it was a legit alert.

i need to find out how to see what the battery's charge is : )

Do you have a DVM? If so just pop out the battery stick the red lead on positive black on negative and turn the DVM to volts. And you should get a reading of around 3 volts for a new battery but maybe 2.5 volts or so being 2 years old but if its lower than that, than its dead. Or also a plain voltage meter will work. The batteries normaly last 2-5 years, depending on how often the system is used. The more it is used the less the battery will start dying, the less the system is used the more the battery will die. Also I highly doubt your surge protector is causing any problems at all.

OMG
This just happened immediately after posting my last reply. It's like live:

okay so upon downloading some program from limewire, my comp froze. bad news bears.

i turn my comp back on and this scary screen appeared like the kind where you're like "omg did my comp just delete itself??!". luckily, it didn't, i gues some bios setup configurations got messed up??. Well anyway, I got past that, did a system restore from yesterday, screen decided not to show up. Then i turned it off again.

Well this time i went about 80 mph to Walmart, got a new battery, came back, put it back in and all that junk ( with some difficulty i should add). then i turned it back on, same yucko system config crap and a little familiar ALERT!

"Alert! System Battery Voltage Low!" (Beep! Beep!)

***** please. Just bought one, just installed it, suck it. So I've now come to the conclusion, that, to my knowledge, that piece of crap Belkin Surge Protector from Dell is at fault for all this. and here's why:

I used a different surge protector and i didn't get the alert.

to hell with dell

when you buy computer batteries at the store, they often need to be charged. If the charged battery doesn't work, then you have a power issue. The next culprit is to check your power adapter. Read the FAQs about laptop power in the guides forum.

Tedster said:
when you buy computer batteries at the store, they often need to be charged. If the charged battery doesn't work, then you have a power issue. The next culprit is to check your power adapter. Read the FAQs about laptop power in the guides forum.

Tedster,
I'm confused here. Postcard 2 Reno has a Desktop computer, and CMOS batteries don't need to be charged... Postcard 2 Reno's motherboard probably has a bad Dallas clock chip or the clear CMOS jumper is in the wrong position

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back