Dell Inspiron 5100 HDD password lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son was using my laptop a few months ago and put a boot password on it. I went to get into yesterday and he can't remember the password. I have heard that dell has masterpasswords, called them but no help since I am not the original owner. purchased it from guy I worked with almost 2 years ago and he got it from someone else. worked fine until my SON put password on it. Help.

This might help

Can you still access the CMOS? If you can do that it is usually possible to tell it not to use a password on boot. Well maybe, but it is worth a try. It depends on how the password was invoked. If it was as a user in windows with admin privilages it could be tough.
I am not sure if you mean a password that is only for the software program such as windows or it if is not going to let you boot the computer at all. The cmos password can be removed usually as I said earlier. The one in windows boot could be a bigger problem and I think there are programs that can help fine it for you, but I will have to ask around. I always have to write mine down especially now that I am getting older.
Now if this is a Cmos password and you cannot seem to get into Cmos it might be necessary to clear the cmos. This will not be the end of the world but you will have to install all the drivers for the devices again. This might work well from your supplied disks if you were given any. I do not want you to reinstall windows as that will erase all your data. Clearing cmos will necessitate going into the laptop to remove for a min or so the cmos battery and of course first of all, the reglular laptop battery for this to work. I can understand you might be afraid to do this so you might want to take it to a tech that is not. It is not a hard thing to do and would take only min I would assume. This resets cmos and does not affect what is on the hard drive and in windows.
I think you will be able to fix this ok. Worse comes to worse you might have to reinstall windows but it should give you a way to save all your previous setting and installation of windows. You may be able to opt to fix it, but only if you are able to boot up to that point using F8 key I think.
I can help more if I know your complete situation.
Ken

Hmm don't generally do this.

Atomant said:
My son was using my laptop a few months ago and put a boot password on it. I went to get into yesterday and he can't remember the password. I have heard that dell has masterpasswords, called them but no help since I am not the original owner. purchased it from guy I worked with almost 2 years ago and he got it from someone else. worked fine until my SON put password on it. Help.

Firstly, I do not condone physically chastising children but give him a slap around the ears. Secondly go here. This program may help.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/gr/ophcrack.htm

Scroll down to Publishers site and click the link. On the next page remember the Version number 1.2.1

Download and install Ophcrack LiveCD 1.2.1 ISO image to a CD Boot the computer with the CD. It should find it for you. If it's a CMOS password that will not allow the Laptop to POST I would suggest a trip to a local PC shop where they can remove the battery from the board for 10 mins. That may clear the password.

Yes Dell, And every other brand have master password clear programs but they are only available to authorized repair centers and proof of ownership is required. I work for an authorized repair provider of most brands, but not DELL.

Hope this helps.

Moderator Edit:
Free Help Here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic90285.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back