Dell Latitude D610 failure to boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I've been looking around online for a solution to my Dell Latitude D610 failing to power on, but none have worked, and I think there are a couple details that are different from other people's problems. I'll be as detailed as possible here to give a good description of what's going on...When I press the power button, the power light comes on for a couple seconds and then goes out again, and there are no noises whatsoever coming from the computer. I've tried all the combinations of unplugging the power adapter, removing the battery, holding down various F keys, applying pressure to the buttons, etc etc...The thing that seems to be different with my problem is that immediately before this problem, my computer had inexplicably shut down. A few months ago I had a problem with the computer getting very hot and completely shutting itself down (I assume from overheating), but it stopped doing that for a while. Back when I had that problem, however, I was always able to restart the computer without any trouble. Now the same thing seems to have happened, except now it won't do anything at all. Since this all started with the computer shutting itself down, rather than simply refusing to start after sitting turned off, it makes me think it's not an issue of a loose connection or a faulty power supply...any ideas? could overheating have caused permanent damage?

Hi

the D610 ....

oveheating is never good..however that is what the thermal trip is for.

i would try reseating the memory first as loose memory can cause the laptop not to power on.

if not

first off, go here for the manual, your going to need some screwdrivers and some time.

Open the laptop up and check the CPU fan and cooler unit for blockages, its a good idea to get some heatsink paste and you will need to repaste the CPU if you remove the heatsink.

With the mobo out (its quite easy to get them out) inspect for any burn marks on the board around the components.

if you find any, then a new mobo will be needed as its probably failed, however if not reassemble the laptop and make sure all the connecting leads are seated securely.

if you have a test meter check your voltage on the power adaptor, i think its about 19volts normally on those models, but it will state on the back of the unit.

same issue here - any solution?

This morning a D610 shut off by iteself (quickly) and then would not boot to bios. As you described, the power light would be on for a few seconds and that is it. I searched for solutions and tried pressing on the keyboard, removing the battery, and other suggestions I found. I finally disassembled the entire thing and when I took the monitor off, it started booting. I put everything back together, checking to make sure it was booting after adding each piece. It worked great for a few minutes then shut down again and would not boot. I now am wondering if it is a temp issue and taking it apart simple allowed enough time to cool. I am going to let it sit and see but I wanted to know if you solved your problem as is sounds the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back