Dell motherboard question

Hi. New member w/ a problem: I have a Dell optiplex computer running a scientific instrument. It is from 1999 I believe. The mobo is identified as 0000141E. This mobo has a very long slot which accommodates a daughterboard which in turn takes a card cage plugging into it. This secondary daughterboard's card cage has slots for the circuit boards (there are four cards) which form the interface for the instrument. So, the computer failed- the hard drive developed bad sectors, I copied the application software (it runs on Windows 98) to another hard drive. I am testing the mobo but have found replacements on ebay. My question pertains to this Dell Optiplex computer & this mobo w/ this very very long slot into which my daughterboard plugs. What is the use of this very long slot ???? What else might it be for ???
Paul
paul_melnikov@yahoo.com
Thanks so much for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are various long slot standards. There was the old ISA standard that pre-dated PCI, there was 64-bit PCI and there was PCI-X. 1999 is probably a bit early for the last one, but it could be an older instrument designed around an ISA card or a cuting edge one desired to use PCI 64-bit.

Does the slot look the same as normal PCI slots but longer or does it look completely different?

Back