Dell reportedly prepping Adamo successor

Emil

Staff

In the coming weeks, Dell is planning on introducing a sleek new 15.6-inch laptop that will succeed the Adamo. It will be the first in a line (models will come in different sizes) designed to be the thinnest in their respective class. The laptops will be positioned as "prosumer" products that have plenty of performance for business users but also "style and beauty" for consumers, according to sources close to Dell.

"This is the first in a series of products where [Dell is] going to focus on ultra-performance and ultrathin," one source told CNET. "This is not a one-time product. This is a full commitment to a product category that is focused on thin and powerful."

The first model will pack the latest Intel Sandy Bridge Core i5 and Core i7 processors, will have a high-resolution display, and will be fashioned from "special materials." Despite the new high-class brand, the first device will reportedly cost under $1,000.

In January of this year, Dell started to offer steep discounts on its ultra-thin Adamo notebook (pictured above). One month later, in February 2011, the inventory was depleted, and consumers looking to buy the 13-inch laptop on Dell's website were recommended the thicker but more powerful XPS 15 or 17 instead. In short, the Dell Adamo line and brand name was discontinued. 

First revealed at CES in 2009, the Adamo boasted looks and portability to challenge Apple's 13-inch MacBook Air. Besides an eye-catchingly thin (0.65-inch) aluminum casing, it also offered fast storage via solid-state drives, ultra-power-efficient Intel Core 2 Duo processors, and a SIM card slot on the side of the notebook.

When we first heard of Adamo going the way of the dodo, Dell was expected to launch a successor system within the next six months, but instead under one of its existing consumer brands. That timeframe is now fast approaching.

Permalink to story.

It is so about time! Hopefully, other manufacturers will get a clue that PC users will pay a reasonable premium for a quality, well designed PC. Just don't screw up the experience by bloating out the OS with crapware and undue all the hard work.

Guest said:
It is so about time! Hopefully, other manufacturers will get a clue that PC users will pay a reasonable premium for a quality, well designed PC. Just don't screw up the experience by bloating out the OS with crapware and undue all the hard work.

To be honest I don't really mind bloatware as I always reinstall the OS once i've got the PC anways. It just makes it cheaper.

Great 15,6" display size!! Im waiting 4 this device in POL. I hope that will be earlier sell than MBA :)

Back