Demonoid shut down by Ukrainian authorities following DDoS attack

Rick

Staff

Demonoid, the Internet's largest combined BitTorrent site and tracker, has been shutdown in one of the biggest BitTorrent-related busts in recent times, according to TorrentFreak. ColoCall, the Ukrainian datacenter who hosts Demonoid, was forced to relinquish Demonoid's data to local authorities and terminate service for the site.

Just prior to the bust, the semi-private tracker and site had essentially been inoperative for more than a week due a massive DDoS attack. Demonoid's admin recently confirmed the site had been hacked in addition to the DDoS attack, but vowed the site would be brought back to life despite recent difficulties. He admitted though, it may take awhile to address the site's underlying issues. Unfortunately for Demonoid, local authorities may make the site's brief intermission a permanent one.

The timing is interesting; and not just due to the concurrency of the DDoS, hacking and investigation, but because of recent political events as well. TorrentFreak points out that the bust happens to coincide with the very first trip taken to the United States by Ukraine's newly appointed First Vice Prime Minister, Valeriy Khoroshkovsky. Curiously, while he visits the U.S., Khoroshkovsky will be discussing a very familiar topic: International copyright infringement. 

The First Vice Prime Minister’s visit follows a purported promise by the Ukrainian government to step up International copyright protection. With that and the timing of events in mind, TorrentFreak's sources theorize that Demonoid may have actually been a Ukrainian "gift" to show the U.S. that the country is serious about protecting intellectual property.

Permalink to story.

So the question is, was the DDoS attack, and the hacking, part of a concerted government effort or not?

The physical shutting down of servers is understandable, but I'm wondering if governments are turning to using the tools of the hackers against them?

I'd been on Demonoid since the beginning ~ 10 years back.. the last 5 years they've been my 'go to' site every time.. but like with the move from Canada a few years back, they will return.

And I hope some industrious little people hack the crap out of the Ukraine's government, for be the **** wallet to the US.

Now heres the funny part....Im betting that it was the Ukrainian govt. itself that hacked them. Im not surprised TBH. File sharing sites seem to be the "Hot Topic" for political leaders everywhere. My concern is that they got hacked and the members information is now out there to be used.

not enough info for them to use.. but I really hope someone gets to that POTHS clown on Demoniod... F'n Religious hate monger..

Awesome... I wonder if foreign aid to Ukrain gets bumped up. Don't governments have better things to do.

Picket Fence DDoS and actual Hacking Exploit was not any govt. the anonymous call from the datacenter as this all happened was when the govt. could actually get involved

ThePirateBay next :)

hey picket fence guest, go suck on some sour RIAA teat. They face facts, = you can't stop piracy= . Some might be arrogant enough to think so.. but really, ain't going to happen.

Hack the Planet, Demoniods not all that anyway, try IPTorrents, Bitsoup, Acetorrents, Torrentkit, Leecherslayir, thats just a few. Trust me, pirate pete will still be stomping his feet for some time to come!

People who can pay should pay, everyone else = torrents!!!!

Well I doubt that the Ukrainian gov't sent its cyber squad to do this.

The place is rife with hackers and cybercriminals, or at least their servers. I'm sure someone knew a guy, and they got some other group to do it.

Not everyone who hacks does it for lulz or because information should be free. There are people who just want to make money doing it. They don't care if they're hacking Sony or The Pirate Bay if they get paid for it.

My concern is simply that everything you do is logged somewhere some way. If a hacker or a hacker employeed by a govt got thier hands on sensitive customer info. What kind of trouble is going to be caused by this. At the very least they have IP Addresses.

That's very true, but that is the flip site to being members of a pirate site hosted in a country like Ukraine. Everyone just thinks its cool take advantage of a relatively laissez faire gov't, but not think a cost is associated.

You have no idea who has access to the log data.

That's a big reason why I don't really go as much "stuff" as before, I don't want some lawsuit, or some hacker, or whatever tracing me back and doing stuff. The internet is not the same place it was 10 years ago.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the government is involvement with this! The government has complete man power, they can do whatever they want with all their money's.

Considering I can think of at least two new BT sites that opened within the last couple months that already have thousands of well-seeded torrents, I am again baffled to determine exactly what they think all this political and law enforcement muscle-flexing is going to accomplish.

I'm not trying to condone content theft, but at some point, don't human beings being to realize the folly of their behavior and try to form a different response?

Then again, we're still fighting the "drug war," 30 years after Nancy Reagan admonished all of us to "Just Say No," so I suppose the answer to my own question is: No, we are pig-headed *****s and will happily run head first into the same brick wall over and over again until we're dead.

A gift....lol seriously? So one ******* takes Demonoid down, whatever lame but what about the ridicilous number of pissed off hackers waiting to bombshell their servers. Have fun in your little crap country :D

Well we can see the fight against drugs where the US govt is concerned. They punish the user just as much as the dealer. That being said, if it was the US govt who hacked them doesnt that mean they have a list of IP addresses? Information that could potentially lead them to real ppl? I would be worried a bit. How many other sites are going to be hacked. Its a simple hunting trick. Take down a "safe" area and force your prey to go to different areas to split them up.
LOL Just wondering how many of my friends have been pirating and if they should worry.

Use proxi servers for torrents and never worry in your life. Also never use anything close to your real name and dont even come close to anything that can be tied to you. even spoof you mac address or by stuff of craigs list that is not traceable to you.

Back