Desktop has higher pings than laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

SevenStars

Well, like the title says, my desktop is getting a higher ping to certain game servers than the laptop.

I'm not sure when this started, but I originally pinged about 110 to a couple of servers I play on.

Since then, I reconfigured my computer with a new motherboard and I also got a new router.

Now I get a consistent ping of 148 to the same servers that used to ping around 110 to. At first I thought that maybe my isp changed something, and that 148 was normal. However I noticed recently that my laptop still pings around 110 to the servers, whether connected wired or wireless, even with both computers connected to the same server at the same time.

Sometimes if I connect my desktop directly to the modem, I will get a lower ping, but this doesn't always work.

My motherboard drivers are all up to date, except for the bios.

System specs are

asrock 4coredual vsta motherboard

e4500, 2g patriot ddr2, ati x1950pro agp

buffalo whr-g54s router, flashed with dd-wrt v23 sp2 firmware.

toshiba pcx2600 cable modem.

The desktop is running windows xp mce 2005, the laptop windows xp,

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Thanks

-EDIT-

I just retested again.

My desktop gets a steady 148 ping on the server and the laptop gets between 110 - 120, while both machines are connected to the server at the same time. Disconnecting the router and plugging in the desktop directly to the modem resulted in a ping of 135 - 148 on the same server with the desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back