Desparate need for help with repairing or replacing XP system and/or system 32 files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night my computer crashed. I had gone to restart my computer, and I initially received an error window stating Windows could not log on because system files were either missing or damaged.

Next I tried again several times, unsuccessfully in case the error message was an "error."

When I continued to have the same problems I telephoned Dell support. The tech led me through the repair process with my Reinstall CD. Everything went okay until the final steps when I received another fatal error message stating something about the "user" not allowing copying of things such as the product catalogs.

After reviewing the system log with the tech he informed me I needed to take my hard drive to a local technician for back up and then reinstall.
A couple of hours later around 4:00am a Dell tech called me at home to request more info on my problem. He then stated we could install a second XP OS which would allow no info to be deleted or overridden, and I could use the computer and move things over to the new OS.

During hooking my tower back up to the monitor, keyboard, etc. our home phone lines went down, and we were disconnected. When I used my cell phone to call back I talked to a third person who said that there is no guarantee that a second OS install would preserve my files and programs so I needed to take the hard drive out and place on another computer in our home.

My friend has been working since 11:00am this morning through now attempting to back up my hard drive, but has been successful in getting everything backed up. My friend then went back into my computer (hard drive back on) and tried to repair, etc., and this time we got info that some of the system and System 32 files are damaged or missing.

I am devestated and desparate because I have many documents for work on my hard drive I cannot access currently, and personal digital photos of my grandmother who is very ill.

I am trying to find out if there is some way to fix or preserve things without doing a reinstall that will erase everything. And again, the repair and recovery attempts have not worked.

Now, on one web page I found while searching some gentleman suggested to another person that he or she copy their old system files and then reinstall the system files. I am wondering if/how I can do something like this. If this is the problem area I wonder if I can somehow just start all over with system and System 32 sections. Like cutting and pasting onto my hard drive.

As you probably already can tell, I am not computer literate at all, and this is very confusing to me, however, if I have a process my friend can probably understand and do it. I just don't know how to get to only those files and repair or replace only them.

Is this possible?

Any other ideas?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated because I cannot get paid for work until I either get this working or redo several days worth of paperwork.

Thank you in advance for you time and response.

Kristie

Thank you for you response.

I have looked at the information, and this looks like the repair process that was interrupted by Windows because it had said the product catalog could not be copied and other error messages.

Should I retry it?

And again, if this complete repair process does not work, does anyone know whether or not I can repair and/or replace only the system and System32 files?

Thank you again,
Kristie

runtotorun0121 said:
Thank you for you response.

I have looked at the information, and this looks like the repair process that was interrupted by Windows because it had said the product catalog could not be copied and other error messages.

Should I retry it?

Yes it might help you.

Regards Howard :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back