Detect Bluetooth device and install driver + software

Status
Not open for further replies.

mscrx

hi ya

currently I am looking for a way to detect if a laptop has a bluetooth device installed - not as a device in windows (xp) but as hardware part.
I am trying to automate installations as much as possible and want to run the bluetooth setup if a script detects the hardware (maybe from the bios).
does anyone know if there is a way to query this from a script?
I already tried to query wmi win32_bios etc etc but to no avail.

thanks

thanks, but thats not what I was looking for. systeminfo only displays adapters already installed to windows. I want to install adapters from the setup.exe if they are physically available onboard. windows doesn't recognize them and they don't appear automatically in the device manager. they will appear once the software and drivers are installed.
I know this sounds weird and I didn't see that before but with the new dell e-series it is like that (on all 3 devices I have for my testings - e5400, e6400, e6500).

thanks

thanks again. this tool detects only devices that windows already recognized. plus it can't be used for a script since it only offers gui functionality.
at the moment I am looking for a linux based solution as well. we use zenworks pxe where there is a lot of linux scripts involved. maybe there is a better chance in querying the bios directly.

There's a tool I had for finding the unique MAC address (no not network!)

Every device has its own unique identifier (hence the above program uses that, even though it found you installed devices, it actually looked at Hardware vendor list MAC address, even if it was installed or Not !)

thanks for your response(s)
the devcon tool is a good one. I got a linux script solution in place now. don't really understand it but it works perfectly.

this thread can be closed. thanks

I got a linux script solution in place now.
That's very annoying!

Many members say "Don't worry I found out the answer"

Aaannnnnd the answer wass ?

Maybe you could attach the script in a Notepad file, or just link to it, or something
It'll be nice if others decided to search for this, it may have taken you hours, that could be saved by someone else searching for the answer.

btw.. kimsland...

Thanks for the mention of the Unknown Device tool. At first I thought it was the one i had found (to download it, click here but it's not. Made by different companies. (Didn't know there were two such tools. Until recently, didn't even know there was one such tool!)

But there's some functions in one that's not in the other. If only we could get them to produce a version that combines the functionality of both!

If you want the exact specs for your Dell laptop go to support.dell.com type in your service tag number. You can also find manuals, download drivers etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back