Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's new promo shows how live-action video game trailers should be done

midian182

Staff member

The history of live-action video game trailers is littered with hits and misses, but there are definitely a lot more bad than good. With Deus Ex: Mankind Divided on the horizon, Eidos Montreal has just released a new promo for the game that uses human actors rather than clips from the upcoming title, and it’s being called one of the best live-action video game trailers ever made.

‘The Mechanical Apartheid’ doesn’t actually feature game protagonist Adam Jensen; he doesn’t even get a mention. Instead, it focuses on a couple – one augmented with a bionic limb and the other a 'natural' – as they struggle to keep their relationship together after the biologically modified woman tries to kill her husband during the ‘aug incident’ from Human Revolution - the broadcast signal sent out by Hugh Darrow causing all augs to go temporarily insane and attack people, resulting in millions of deaths worldwide.

“This is an attack on humanity and the universal values that we share,” says secretary general Peter Roberts in the trailer.

While the acting isn’t going to win any Oscars, the video isn’t the usual cheese-fest that you often find in live-action game trailers. It does an excellent job of showing how society has found itself at the point where naturals and augs are being segregated on the streets, setting the backdrop for the game itself.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is one of our '10 Most Anticipated games of 2016.' Players will get to decide how Adam Jensen handles himself in this bleak world when the games is released for PC, Xbox One, and PS4 on August 24.

Permalink to story.

Now that's some bad *** game preview making.. Does of very good job of evoking emotional value in the player.. I'm looking forward to playing this one.

So when does the movie come out? Not so interested in the game having not seen any real game play, but they sure have one hell of a budget if this is just the trailer for, the game and not the movie?

Now then, if only the game delivers. I bought the previous Deus Ex game, and it was a bit of a letdown really. All the characters were shaking, literally shaking, all the time, due to terrible animations. The game had so much promise, but it felt half-baked.

Best trailer for a game I've ever seen! And yes, now the "movie" please!

Well, it's not technically a trailer but a promotional video to boost hype and help people connect with the underlying story of how things arrived to the point where the game picks up. Brilliant marketing in my opinion. And for those knocking this video because it doesn't show any gameplay, try investing in something other than the visuals of the game and maybe you'll understand what the developers are trying to do here. E3 is days away, so you'll have plenty of opportunities to witness the gameplay.

Now then, if only the game delivers. I bought the previous Deus Ex game, and it was a bit of a letdown really. All the characters were shaking, literally shaking, all the time, due to terrible animations. The game had so much promise, but it felt half-baked.

I had no problem with the motion systems, looking at it's contemporaries it have far more natural kinematics and a massive library of movements compared to COD/BF/ ME. For me, the series has been one of the bright spots in a fairly soft and lazy fps marketplace.

Last edited:
I had no problem with the motion systems, looking at it's contemporaries it have far more natural kinematics and a massive library or movements compared to COD/BF/ ME. For me, the series has been one of the bright spots in a fairly soft and lazy fps marketplace.
I agree that Deus Ex stands out. I love the futuristic vibe and everything. But seriously, you didn't experience the problem I mentioned? It literally looked like every single NPC I talked to was suffering from severe drug withdrawal. They just couldn't stand still, constantly shaking. It was the weirdest thing I've ever seen in a game.

I had no problem with the motion systems, looking at it's contemporaries it have far more natural kinematics and a massive library or movements compared to COD/BF/ ME. For me, the series has been one of the bright spots in a fairly soft and lazy fps marketplace.
I agree that Deus Ex stands out. I love the futuristic vibe and everything. But seriously, you didn't experience the problem I mentioned? It literally looked like every single NPC I talked to was suffering from severe drug withdrawal. They just couldn't stand still, constantly shaking. It was the weirdest thing I've ever seen in a game.
Compare it with a youtube vid. Sounds like your setup was the cause, not the game. No animation "jittering" here either...

DE used the PhysX/APEX systems.. I think I was using a then brand new 6970 to play DE II and I had to jump through small hoops to get the two products ( physix/AMD drivers) to play nice. Something on Guru3d I think helped .

So whens the movie coming ya can't tell me they spent all that dosh just for a game promo it's gotta be part of a movie

Back