Dial up on Linux, so confusing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mopar man

I have dial up. I absolutely can not get DSL due to many limitations based on area and budget, so please don't tell me to get it. I can't.

My problem is that because my linux computer doesnt have a modem right now, I am worried what modem I should get, and whether or not I can even get around it? If I made a lan connection from a computer with a connection, could I use that connection?

I am not into networking, but I do wanna learn as much as possible as I need to. I really don't know how to set up anything technical, but I can if I get a slight explanation.

Thanks.

mopar man said:
I have dial up. I absolutely can not get DSL due to many limitations based on area and budget, so please don't tell me to get it. I can't.
Perfectly understandable.
mopar man said:
My problem is that because my linux computer doesnt have a modem right now, I am worried what modem I should get, and whether or not I can even get around it?
Whichever modem you get, do ensure it's an external RS232 (serial) modem, this will save you a lot of headaches and is the best type of modem available for dial up. Whatever you do, no not get an internal PCI Winmodem. Windmodems are not in fact modems, they are actually a type of sound card, believe it or not, with the modem itself being software (the windows drivers), this is why they are difficult to get working in windows.
mopar man said:
If I made a lan connection from a computer with a connection, could I use that connection?

I am not into networking, but I do wanna learn as much as possible as I need to. I really don't know how to set up anything technical, but I can if I get a slight explanation.

Thanks.

You can also network your Linux box to a windows PC which has internet connection sharing running. But to me it seems that the connection to the internet should be on the most secure of the two machines and that would be the machine running Linux.

1- get an External Modem in preference to an internal
2- I always liked US Robotics
3- make sure you get 56k v.92 compatibility

Thanks, caravel and jobeard.

My only other question is this:

If I run an ethernet cord from the Windows box to the linux box, it would allow me to connect to the connection from the windows box, even if its a dial up connection?

I do understand why you say the Linux machine would be more secure, but under my circumstances that would be pretty hard.

If Linux were the primary (ie controlled the dial-up), then just a NIC to it
and an extra ROUTE to the Windows box.

mopar man said:
If I run an ethernet cord from the Windows box to the linux box, it would allow me to connect to the connection from the windows box, even if its a dial up connection?
You can't use a simple ethernet cable - you need a crossover cable for that. You also have to set up Windows Internet Connection Sharing in the win PC. It works with any kind of a connection: broadband, LAN, PPPoE, dialup - makes no difference.

The MHz is totally irrelevant. If the cable is CAT5 or above, then it will be just fine.

Ok, Thanks, Nodsu. I am probably going to get the 350 then.

One last question.

This WILL work with any network card, right? It is pretty much an ethernet cord, right?

Assuming that the card is supported by your OS, yes. There may be issues with speed autonegotiation, but this is easily fixed with manual settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back