Did I find the correct driver - Marvell Yukon-on OS Win7 64 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

SGTDRE

Hello one and all, New kid on the block here, Well more like a Big Kid that never grew up :)

MoBo: P5AD2-E Premium, yuppers its an oldie but still ticking and Huming along Very nicely.
CPU: Pentium 4 3.6Ghz
MoBo has an onboard Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

I will be Doing a Fresh install of Win7 Pro 64bit, I already have everything backed up and all ready to go. I Downloaded This File

techspot dot com/drivers/driver/file/information/11282/Marvell Yukon Lan Driver v 10.66.4.3 (Complete Installer)

I did also download a different version from x-Drivers dot ru
v111053 But im not sure of it?

and yet there is another version at opendrivers dot com/driver/292502/marvell-yukon-gige-driver-11.10.6.3-windows-7-x64-free-download

Any tips & suggestions are welcome
SGTDRE

I don't know if that is the right one or not, but I'm fairly certain Windows 7 will autodetect that and it will work 'out of the box' so to speak.

Vista and 7 do a very good job with NIC drivers, its not like XP where you have to make sure you've got a NIC driver ready to go after the install.

I don't know if that is the right one or not, but I'm fairly certain Windows 7 will autodetect that and it will work 'out of the box' so to speak.

Vista and 7 do a very good job with NIC drivers, its not like XP where you have to make sure you've got a NIC driver ready to go after the install.
True.. but there's also a bit of a catch-22??

i.e. One needs a network driver that works before Win 7 can contact and check the Windows Update driver database for a better or newer version ;)

They do have several versions, I log in to the member home page and I go to downloads where I have to select an OS and seeing as, my board is so old my options are many Except Win7 but seeing as I have XP Pro 32bit installed now, the doownload page is no good to me. I did update it once from them, but my board is going on 5 years old now. but they do not have anything for my board and Win7, I even called them on the phone to double check.

Interesting.. i looked at the ASUS website.. and they don't list ANY LAN driver?? only wireless.. that's odd as you say its onboard?

I have not thought of that, ya think MS Update site might have one that I can download. I just figured that the ones I downloaded would just might work out?

I just finished searching MS For drivers for Win7 and It ened up bringing me to the Bing search page and in turn i found the Marvell site

I fixing this ole pc up and giving it to my daughters after I'm finished building my new System.

i.e. One needs a network driver that works before Win 7 can contact and check the Windows Update driver database for a better or newer version ;)

Yea, assuming you can boot up with SOME type of network connection then Windows Update may be able to find better/more recent drivers. But you need to be able to run Windows Update with Win 7 installed (not while XP is installed) which is why it can be a catch-22 for network drivers.

Try this...
Go to device manager, find the Yukon adapter
> rt click Properties
> Click Details Tab
> Use the pulldown to select Hardware IDs

Tell me the (exact) string that appears at the top of Hardware IDs list. OR (whichever is easier for you)

You can try using the SysExporter tool. It will allow you to copy/paste the Hardware ID data from Device Manager window

It isn't a catch 22, I said 7 would have drivers for that on the install. This isn't like XP figuring out what it is and then going online to get it, 7 already has the driver for it.

This the info you were asking for

Device Instance Id
==================================================
: PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4362&SUBSYS_81421043&REV_15\4&BCBF7E3&0&00E1
Hardware ID
: PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4362&SUBSYS_81421043&REV_15

: PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4362&SUBSYS_81421043

: PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4362&CC_020000

: PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4362&CC_0200

If makes any difference or helps any I updated my post #7 with info i found

Yea, assuming you can boot up with SOME type of network connection then Windows Update may be able to find better/more recent drivers. But you need to be able to run Windows Update with Win 7 installed (not while XP is installed) which is why it can be a catch-22 for network drivers.

Try this...
Go to device manager, find the Yukon adapter
> rt click Properties
> Click Details Tab
> Use the pulldown to select Hardware IDs

Tell me the (exact) string that appears at the top of Hardware IDs list. OR (whichever is easier for you)

You can try using the SysExporter tool. It will allow you to copy/paste the Hardware ID data from Device Manager window

I do also want to thank you both for helping me, I'm still double checking that everything is backed up.

That is a nice little tool thank you :)

It isn't a catch 22, I said 7 would have drivers for that on the install. This isn't like XP figuring out what it is and then going online to get it, 7 already has the driver for it.

Oh! I haven't tried Win 7 yet. Interesting. I'll have to check out the drivers that come with install CD.

I had thought you refered to the method used by XP and Vista: i.e. letting Windows Update search for new drivers (over the internet) in Microsoft's database of registered PnP drivers

Hi SGTDRE

1) Given the info from SNGX1275, you should at least have a driver to start on the Win 7 CD

2) But also:
> I looked at the Marvel webiste.
> Download the driver here (v11.22.4.3, dated 10/21/09.
> I looked at the driver's installation file. These files aren't terribly straight forward to interpret but
> From best i can tell, your hardware IDs are a match! Looks like the latest and best driver to use
> And Marvell says it's for Win 7!

Thank you very much for searching and find the Driver for me, you did not have to do that, I just got tired and needed some sleep, I was going to search the site today. I really do Appreciate your effort, and at least now i have something to fall back on if need be.

I also want to thank you SNGX1275 for your help, Honestly I never would have thought that Win7 had drivers already for anything, I just figured that I would to go search for any and all that I would need.

Well today is the big day, Crossing my fingers & toes :) that the install goes off without a Hitch. I'm using my laptop now, but i will have to disconnect my Router & connect my PC right to the Cable modem, the last time I did not when I Re-installed WinXP, I had to go through the process of setting up my network connections, I'm guessing that during the install process the Internet connection was not detected properly. And I'm guessing it may happen again. So til I'm done here have a great day. I'm still at the learning stage here with Networking or any kind and setting it up and making it work, even the simple act of setting up Internet connection and understanding how it all works.

I don't why but i always had a bit of a problem when it came to network Period :)

SGTDRE

Hi SGTDRE

1) Given the info from SNGX1275, you should at least have a driver to start on the Win 7 CD

2) But also:
> I looked at the Marvel webiste.
> Download the driver here (v11.22.4.3, dated 10/21/09.
> I looked at the driver's installation file. These files aren't terribly straight forward to interpret but
> From best i can tell, your hardware IDs are a match! Looks like the latest and best driver to use
> And Marvell says it's for Win 7!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back