Differences between Ryzen 1600x & 2600

Mac291

I've read the 2600 has improvements besides speed/IPC and it's "improved" infinity fabric. I can OC a 1600X to match a stock 2600. Difference in price is small but I'd like to know: besides speed & heat, how the 2600 "microcode" improves it's functionality over a 1600/1600X. If at all.

The only thing I've been able to find tells me the 2600 offers 'improved IPC performance, greater power efficiency' ( we obviously already know this), and 'reduced cache latency, enhanced memory latency and frequency support'. If bios updates give the 1600X the same memory frequency support, then what does 'reduced cache latency' and 'enhanced memory latency' mean?

If a series one can use the same memory then it's using that memorys' latency. AFAIK the 1600/1600X and the 2600 have exactly the same L1, L2 and L3 cache.

So under any application, will there be any difference besides just speed?

Thanks,

Mac

I can't answer everything but from what you've mentioned the memory used with each processor can vary quite alot.. Lets not forget that the memory controller is inbuilt onto the CPU.
One prime example for me would be when switching from Ryzen 1700 to 3700x my ram were not compatible in Quad Dimm because the memory controller does not support them.

The same could be said for the two chips you mentioned.

Reduced cache latency is probably what the name implies. Meaning the time it takes for the cpu to access cache and compute an instruction. I.e just particular jargon which means less time is required to perform computations which results in better performance.

Under normal applications you're mostly down to IPC mainly. If you do overclock the 1600x high enough you can achieve same performance in almost every application as the ryzen 2600.

ryzen.png

Back