Direct X 9 "Opinions"

Status
Not open for further replies.

cogenmaster

I have downloaded direct x 9 but yet to install. How many of you have installed it and what if any negative problems have you incurred by installing direct x 9. My puter is running fine so I really don't want to screw it up. Last time I had a direct x failure I had to reformat and that sucks. Thanks Eric

AMD 1700
SOYO Dragon Plus
Geforce 3 Ti200 @450 and 210
Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum
512 DDR 2100
Windows XP Home

I haven't had one problem with DX9 yet... Everything is rock stable :) (But I'm using an ATI 9700pro)

But there isn't really any reson to install it yet... There are no games out there that needs it, so you can allways wait until there are...

That way you'll be certain you'll get stable drivers etc...

.02$

ATI

Hey how bout you guys slide a few ducketts my way and my case could grace one those speedy ATI 9700 pros. HAHA

I have directX9 installed and the Radeon 3.0 cats with a Radeon 8500 and have had no problems. some people withATI cards have had problems because they downloaded the wrong 3.0 cats there are two sets/ one for the 7000-8500 cards and the other for the 9000-9700 cards.

I've had abunch of problems with direct x9...when I try to start a game that requires chnging the screen resolution direct x messes up and then my computer restarts. I am most like ly going to roll back to 8 or 7.

The only thing that sucks about that is having problems with compatibility on the newer games that require you to have 9. But I guess that is something that you will have to sacrifice.

Re: Re: Direct X 9 "Opinions"

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi
But there isn't really any reson to install it yet... There are no games out there that needs it, so you can allways wait until there are...

Not True. GTA:Vice City needs DirectX9 and compatible drivers. At least it claims that it does. :p

I don't have any problems per se, but performance has gone down quite a lot in many games. All of them being DX7 games, isn't that a big coïncidence.;)

UT runs slower, as does Operation Flaspoint.

I upgraded from DX8.1 to DX9 & Cat 2.5 to 3.0 at the same time so I can't really say if it's the Cat drivers or DX9 that slowed things down.

/me is using a R8500 on 2K Pro BTW.;)

Radeon 8500 LE and no problems so far. As Abraxas said, GTA vice city claims it need DX9 intalled, and a fact I proved myself, MotoGP 2 won't even run if I don't install DirectX9

Re: Re: Re: Direct X 9 "Opinions"

Originally posted by Abraxas
Not True. GTA:Vice City needs DirectX9 and compatible drivers. At least it claims that it does. :p

Yes, it's true that there are games now that requires DX9, but that wasn't the case when I made the previous post "12-28-2002"...

And I'm not sure to what extent the games utilize DX9...
There isn't much in the graphics department, but it could be sound or something like that...

Or it could be as simple as it has been compiled with the DX9 SDK, and thus requires DX9, even though it doesn't use any features not available in DX8.1....

I've got DX9 installed on several machines (all with NVidia cards) and I've had no problems with itas of yet - except when I had a problem with Asheron's Call 2 one time and suddenly my machine said I had DX 8.1 installed again. I couldn't reinstall DX9 but when I reinstalled the network version of DX9.0a it fixed everything and now it says I have 9 installed again. I believe that prob was related to AC2 though as it's the only application I have any probs with on one particular machine.

LNCPapa

new games

half life 2, halo 2, doom 3, gran turismo 4, mohaa, rising sun, you name it.................a plethora of others............bottom line, gear up and get ready...........if you are nervous.........don't do it...........i like staying on the cutting edge

hi

wonder if you can help or advise before i do anything stupid (which i do frequently as far as this puter goes)

i have an NVIDIA GEFORCE 4 MX 420 graphics card, with direct x8.1
we have tried and tried and tried:( to play a game called the sims delux editon. to no avail, i have 3 frustrated kids :mad: trying to suss this out, we cant play it,
so i hav e just downloaded a different version of direct X (9) which i dont want to install until i know that im doing the right thing, i have had to nuke this puter and reload which took hours in the past and dont wanna do that again,
anyone out there playing sims, if so, what directx do you use and and what graphics card do you have....
please please help
:confused: puzzled and confused mom

If I were you I'd update the graphic drivers first to see if that fixes the problem... If not, then I'd install DX9...

It will/should say on the box of the game if it requires DX9 or not... (Somewhere near where it says what hardware is required to play the game)

Hope this helps :)

Sukisquest,
my daughter's PC (Intel PIII-550 with 256MB, Matrox G200 16MB graphics AGP) had W2K installed but I could not get Sims Deluxe Edition running on it (not DirectX related). So I wiped the lot and installed Win98SE. Then installed Sims Deluxe (which installed Directx 8.0a). For Xmas I gave my daughter Sims Unleashed. It installed fine and runs very happy with DX8.

According to the box, sims runs only under W95/98 and XP, and it needs minimal DX7 and only 2MB graphics.

Bizarre, that one RBS, just FYI, i've got a 9800Pro i've never had any problems with DX9.0b or a for that matter with any ATI Cat release from 3.5 or summat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back