DirectX problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I don't know anything about computers and I bought an old game which doesn't work because I need to have DirectX v5.0 for it to work but when I try to install DirectX v5.0 with the game cd it says directX is fully installed. Of course my game still doesn't work and I've tried several times to uninstall and reinstall the game without success.
Could someone please help me?

Here is my email adress if anyone knows anything that could help me
Thanks

Well, you've given virtually no information to go on, not the name of the game, no PC specs, no operating system, no nothin'.

So flying blind, I'll venture a guess that the old game was published circa the Windows 98 era and you currently are running Windows XP. If I'm close to being correct, one fix to try would be to change the compatibility mode in the current PC. Also, be sure to install any and all game patches that may have been released.

In XP DirectX 9 is supposed to be backwards compatible with earlier versions of DirectX.

yeah sorry about that first time! Here are some PC specs:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T5300
Mem: 2GB
Video:ATI Radeon X2300
Now, the game is The curse of Monkey Island and was published in 1997 so you were quite close! ;p I don't know if it works with Vista but could you explain how to change the compatibility moden the pc? I have another computer at home which runs with XP so I could change the compatibility on that one.

In Windows XP there are two ways to change the compatibility mode. The easiest is to create a desktop shortcut icon for the game if one isn't already there and right click on it. Alternately, you can right click directly on the game .exe file. On the menu that appears, left click on Properties. There should be a Compatibility tab that appears. Click on it and select a compatibility mode to try (Windows 98, NT, etc). Save/apply it and try running the game. If one doesn't work or work well, try another.

The second method is a little more complicated but I think it's better. Click on All Programs in the Start menu and click on Accessories. Enter the Compatibility Wizard. The advantage of the Compatibility Wizard over the first but simple method is that you can try the game in the different modes (Windows 98, NT, etc.) without leaving the Wizard. In other words, you try running the game in the different modes within the Wizard until you find one that works or works best. If and when you find the best mode, save the setting and exit the Wizard. The game should run from now on like it ran while you were inside the Wizard.

I don't have Vista so I don't know the particulars of it but you can change compatibility modes in Vista too. However, for a game that old sometimes they don't work in Vista no matter what but it doesn't hurt to try.

Ok I tried changing the compatibility mode on the computer and now I don't have the directX problem t the game will still not run because there seems to be a problem with comi.exe and the game just closes up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back