Disable "check for updates" in Windows 7

scr1b3

I would like to know if its possible to disable USERS the ability to check for updates in Windows 7. I've tried creating the reg key "DisableWindowsUpdateAccess" in HKLM \ Software \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows \ WindowsUpdate but that didnt work.

I also enable "remove links and access to Windows Update' on GPO uner USER CONFIGURATION \ ADMINISTRATIVE TEMPLATES \ START MENU AND TASKBAR . This does the job but it also disable any local ADMINISTRATOR from checking for updates.

I don't know if this will work for you, or is a admin-only feature (I'm have only 1 account - the admin account - which I use) but worth a try:
Go to Control Panel > Windows Update > Change Settings > Uncheck "Allow all users to install updates" > OK.
Now press Windows key+R, -> type in "services.msc" without the quotes, -> press enter -> scroll down to "Windows Updates" -> double-click to open -> go to the "Log on" tab -> choose the account you want it to use.
If you choose the admin account, only the admin will be able to access the updates.
Good luck.

I tried to change to local administrator however the service did not start automatically. I tried starting the service manually and received this error " Error 1079: The account specified for this service is different from the account specified for other services running the same process". I proceeded to make the same change on Background Intelligence Transfer service and they both have the same error. What other process/services is require for Windows Update that I need to make the same change to?

Back