Disgruntled artist creates Google Glass Wi-Fi connection jammer

Shawn Knight

Staff member

cut glassholes google glass detector

A Berlin artist named Julian Oliver has written a basic program called Glasshole.sh that claims to be capable of booting a Google Glass visor from nearby Wi-Fi networks. It’s said to work in conjunction with a small Raspberry Pi mini-computer or comparable device and a USB network antenna to detect a unique character string found in the MAC addresses of Glass headsets.

When the software detects this string of characters, it then uses a program called Aircrack-NG to mimic the network and send a “deauthorization” command which severs the Wi-Fi connection.

Oliver reportedly came up with the idea after another artist was disturbed when people showed up to view his exhibit wearing Glass. The artist had no way of knowing whether or not the Glass-wearing visitors were snapping pictures, recording video or even live-streaming his work over the web.

Oliver’s goal is to protect the privacy of those at restaurants, parties or people playing with their kids in public by thwarting the video-recording efforts of Glass. The one key flaw in this jammer-like approach is that Glass isn’t dependent on an Internet connection to record video or capture images. Sure, this approach would shut down live-streaming but that’s about it.

At the same time, one has to wonder about the legality of creating and using a jammer in public. A month or so ago, a Florida man was arrested and is facing federal charges after police discovered he was using a portable cell phone jammer during his daily commute along Interstate 4 in Tampa to keep people from using their phones while driving.

Permalink to story.

I wouldn't be shocked if people didn't realize that most humans bring a pair of these everywhere we go. They are called eye balls. why do you care about these glasses but not our own eyes?

Well, unless you're one of the minority that can reproduce an image from memory with exact likeness, I expect the reason behind this was to protect against copyright infringement and/or privacy.

Wait so he's concerned that people take pics or livestream his work AT AN EXHIBITION?!

What kinda tool is this guy, free advertising and publicity for people to come and attend his art exhibition but instead wants no one to see it?

He's no artist he's a greedy person that is only in it for the money charged at the door.

I wouldn't be shocked if people didn't realize that most humans bring a pair of these everywhere we go. They are called eye balls. why do you care about these glasses but not our own eyes?

As the guest pointed out, eyeballs lack the output and networking capabilities of Glass. After all, if eyes and a brain were as good at capturing and conveying images as a camera, photographers and paparazzi would be redundant.

That said, I fully endorse a Glass killer...err..."deauthorizer" application. It's bad enough you can't walk a mile down the street these days without starring in the greatest reality show in the history of the world. The last thing our blossoming pseudo-celebrity culture needs is a bunch of millennials and aged hipsters running around with cameras jutting pretentiously from their gleefully modernized temples...

Last edited by a moderator:
Like the article says, you don't need wifi to record, only stream. I don't think the so-called "artist" thought this one through back to the drawing board.

I'm all for Google Glass jamming. It is bad enough that the government can track everything and Google and others track everything we do online, but now any &%$hole can record me at anytime is just too much.

So just to be clear. If you have a cell phone you have a wifi hotspot with a highspeed network...this script is pointless.

People can record you at anytime without Google Glass. Every smartphone can record video. I don't quite understand your point on this.

Well it's not hard to understand. When someone pulls out a cellphone, it can be quite clear when they're trying to record something since they obviously have the phone up with the camera pointing at something. For that artist, he could simply tell that guy that he does not want that video to be recorded or pictures taken. In case of glasses, it's not really possible to tell whether someone is recording or not. Sure you can probably tell the user to not wear glasses when they're in the exhibit but that could also cause other problems so like what if the glasses being outfitted with Google glasses is prescription? I guess it could be more complicated...

People can record you at anytime without Google Glass. Every smartphone can record video. I don't quite understand your point on this.

The reason you don't understand the objection is that you are failing to see the apples and the oranges for the fruit.

Being recorded is not why people disapprove of Google Glass; not knowing whether you're being recorded is why people disapprove of Google Glass. A smartphone has to be deliberately manipulated to video record someone. If you don't wish to be recorded, you can politely ask the smartphone user to stop recording you. With an integrated system like Google Glass, you literally have no idea whether you are on video or not. It's invasive not because it has the capacity to record video, but because it can do so completely invisibly.

If I were the artist, I would creates an EMP gun like in The Dark Knight Rises movie, so I'll just shoot people who wears these gl*******s, and their $1000 gl*******s is fried LoL.

"Cmon babe, I ALWAYS wear my Google glass during sex!"

Yes, courtesy is dead and a new selfishness is born. Thanks Google (you f'ing bastards)

So just to be clear. If you have a cell phone you have a wifi hotspot with a highspeed network...this script is pointless.

Exactly pointless script as as mentioned in the article just stops you live streaming on their network it doesn't prevent anything else

With an estimate of One surveillance camera for every 11 people in Britain at the moment, Im not sure one dude wearing stupid looking glasses is going to make much of a difference, :)

Back