Disk defragment OS XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should fix it then.. :rolleyes:

Please try to explain your problem so that mortals can understand it. Try again with about 5-10 sentences, with no more than 5 lines per paragraph.

Nodsu said:
You should fix it then.. :rolleyes:

Please try to explain your problem so that mortals can understand it. Try again with about 5-10 sentences, with no more than 5 lines per paragraph.

I would like to make a defragmentation.
Openinng the correct site ,pushing the defragmenter but there is no responce.

I guess you're 1st language is not english. I'm also guessing that it may be a shortcut link problem. How are you accessing the defrag option?

(if you're doing so through the 'menu', try it via right click over hard drive (in explorer view), pick properties, click the 'tools' tab and the defrag option should be available)

detrunks said:
I guess you're 1st language is not english. I'm also guessing that it may be a shortcut link problem. How are you accessing the defrag option?

(if you're doing so through the 'menu', try it via right click over hard drive (in explorer view), pick properties, click the 'tools' tab and the defrag option should be available)

This is exactly the way I am doing

All what is mentioned in yours mail ,was exactly performed.
When I push on the defragmenter nothing happened,there iis no response

I had the same problem with an "old" caviar of mine.. I concluded that there was a problem with the disk [hardware]..

lemme explain,
this drive was 60gb and partitioned with 55gb dedicated to windows programs and 5gb dedicated to a linux partition.. at first when I partitioned it during the linux install, the installation restarted my machine and found error upon error using fsck, anyways, somehow it let me boot into linux (and I had no problems after that on that partition). but when I booted into windows and placed some music, videos, and such on the NTFS partition, everything would work perfectly except transferring long videos and defragmentation. I know it could be that the GUI was only hanging while the disk was working, but I'd let it sit for hours at a time and then nothing happened, could this have been a defect with the disk cache?

anyways, to address your problem
do you have only one drive?
if not, is it doing this when defragging all drives, or just one single one?
also, if you downloaded windows, then there's a possibility that the defragmenter files became corrupt during the download or when you burnt the OS to a cd...

another possibility is that it could be your IDE channel or mobo, are you using old, worn, hardware? have the pins been pulled from the IDE channel when changing hardware?

also if you happen to have norton systemworks on your system, you can use speed disk to defrag and maybe this may work....

diskeeper lite is good, buying the registered version is even better. It will automatically optimize on the fly.

if you don't have admin rights you may not be able to use this utility
if you have a password protected or encrypted disk you will not be able to use this utility.
good chance if the above does not apply that the disk is damaged and need chkdsk ot 3rd party error checking
I hate chkdsk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back