DNS Issue

Hi All,

I have a strange one here.

I connect to the net via my Belkin router, nothing special about the setup of the router.

My main pc however I have configured to use a static IP for downloading purposes.

I have used the same IPV4 settings for a number of years with no dramas.

Last night I switched on the PC and connected to the Internet but after a few minutes I got the no internet connection symbol (yellow triangle).

I am connected via networking plugs also so tried the see if they were the issue but they are fine.

I ran the windows troubleshoot wizard and it came back with 'Your computer is trying to use a DNS server that is incorrect or doesn’t exist'

I removed my static IP details and tried to connect by obtaining IP details automatically but this had no effect.

I used my phone's internet connection to google this and was advised to try 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 which I then reinput my static ip details but this time putting the google dns settings and I can connect to the net.

The wierd thing is that my wifi will not connect to the net.

my question really is, do I need to update the DNS setting in my router in order to get wifi working or should I be flushing DNS on pc , the wifi is for my Ipad so not a lot I can do on that to connect.

Making my brain ache a bit, sorry for the long post.

any help or advice would be appreciated.

Arvon

Yes, you can set the DNS addresses in the router manually and then every device connected to that router will inherit your settings when they are configured to you DHCP

Many thanks for the response.

It is a strange situation and I have more to add to the tale.

I went home last night and tried the wifi on my ipad, this would not connect
I tried one of the kids pc's and that would not connect.
I accessed my router setting and changed the DNS to 8.8.8.8
none of the pc's would connect
I set the DNS router setting back to the original then gave my kids pc a static IP address via the IPV4 settings and it connected to the Internet

My router dahsboard continually states it is connected to the internet yet I get no wifi and no pc connection (unless I give pc a static IP)

IMy Belkin router is about 8 years old so I bit the bullet and spent £120 on an ASUS model so I will see if that makes a difference.

My router dahsboard continually states it is connected to the internet yet I get no wifi and no pc connection (unless I give pc a static IP)
and that tells you that
  1. your systems are not using DHCP and auto for the DNS
  2. OR you router is no responding as it should

Back