DNS issues ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bman2005

-I have two computers on a home network. Both on the same workgroup.
-SBC DSL : SpeedStream Modem
-Linksys Wireless WRT54G Router
-Machine 1 - wired to router
-Machine 2 - wireless NIC card : D Link DWL-G510

The problem is that Machine 1 drops internet connection if the computer sits idle for several hours / day. The network itself is still up and it can see the other computer but no internet.

I try to repair connection... nothing.

I reboot, and all is back to normal. The internet comes back.

What in the heck is changing that caouses the internet to not come back up. Is there some sort of DNS time out issue or is my other machine taking over something when I reboot it?

I do run ZoneAlarm on both machine and XP Pro SP2...

Ay thoughts or suggestions? Do I need to do something specific with the IP or DNS setting in the router.

I really need help here. My wife is like "my compute is broken...my computer is broken and I am going to use yours!" :)

Alright, this must be a ZoneAlarm issue... trusted zones etc. I have added DHCP in the trusted zones (IP and router addresses were already added)

Samstoned said:
you may want to disable dhcp in the router
dhcp will not cause this symptom.

you really should update the firmware in your:
-SBC DSL : SpeedStream Modem
-Linksys Wireless WRT54G Router

if you are convienced that a lack of traffic to the ISP is your problem, you can
run this to keep it active
cmd /k pathping -p 5000 $your_isp_dns_address​

not sure there exact symptoms ,but loss of connection can be from the isp's dhcp server conflicting with the router dhcp
and this is fact as doc. from some isp's they tell you to turn off dhcp in the router.
router should not handle dhcp in some cases

Samstoned said:
not sure there exact symptoms ,but loss of connection can be from the isp's dhcp server conflicting with the router dhcp
and this is fact as doc. from some isp's they tell you to turn off dhcp in the router. router should not handle dhcp in some cases
hum; must be vendor specific issue, as the router's DHCP functions ONLY on the
LAN side and the ISP dhcp operates on the WAN side. It is uncommon to have
a Release/Renew cycle move a client to another subnet so as to even effect
the DNS settings -- it is possible, but then the ISP has disturbed his entire client base :(

I've never seen such documentation but certainly would like to learn more :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back