Do I need more RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer is slow. We have cable internet so I know it's not that. It's not even ridiculously slow, just enough to get on my nerves when web browsing and fooling around with my photo editor. Someone told me I needed more RAM.
The computer was given to us and the only label on it says, AMD Athlon XP. Is that the brand?
It's running 480 mb of RAM.
Help!
Thanks in advance.

with half a gigabyte of ram, i'm surprised you haven't decided to beat yourself to death with a steel pipe from the painfully slow speed. i certainly agree. more ram would be a pretty good idea. it may also be your graphics chip. some chips aren't able to render graphics terribly well or quickly. so that might also pose a problem in terms of how fast you can process photo editor related things. image and video programs tend to eat up lots of memory, graphics, and processing power. so you'll want to make sure that you're well stocked with all three.

and as for the label, as far as i can tell, it tells you the type of processor and the operating system. an AMD athlon processor and running windows XP. that's my best guess. but there's a far more detailed list inside the computer. you just have to navigate to it.

why not have a go at it? here's something to try:

Click Start. Click Run, and in the space provided, type "dxdiag" without the quotes and hit Enter. It will most likely ask you some question after you do this. It's not life threatening, so just click yes, and it will bring you a list of your computer's specifications.

more specifically, it should deliver the following:

Current Date/Time
Computer Name
Operating System
Language
System Manufacturer
System Model
BIOS
Processor
Memory
Page File
DirectX Version

Some computers aren't as detailed, but generally you get a list like this. Understanding what it all says is pretty straight forward. Feel free to post it and ask any other questions if you like.

Google and get Everest home edition. That will tell you everything you could ever want to know about your pc plus a whole load more.

Thanks. I'll get right on the RAM situation.
Now, about this graphics card. Here is my system info. Can you tell if I need a new Graphics card too?
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 10/28/2007, 10:28:48
Machine name: PAETSCH-
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: BIOSTA
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.7GHz
Memory: 480MB RAM
Page File: 493MB used, 628MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

And here are my Display devices.

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR
Manufacturer: S3 Graphics Co., Ltd.
Chip type: S3 ProSavage DDR
DAC type: S3 SDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_5333&DEV_8D04&SUBSYS_8D045333&REV_00
Display Memory: 32.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: s3gnb.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.0025 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 3/2/2004 14:02:26, 402048 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: s3gnbm.sys
Mini VDD Date: 3/2/2004 14:02:30, 167040 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B75DD3-CE44-11CF-9A30-0EADA1C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x5333
Device ID: 0x8D04
SubSys ID: 0x8D045333
Revision ID: 0x0000
Revision ID: 0x0000
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_D
Deinterlace Caps: n/a
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled
DDraw Test Result: Not run
D3D7 Test Result: Not run
D3D8 Test Result: Not run
D3D9 Test Result: Not run

it looks as though you have integrated graphics so getting a proper card will improve performance a lot

also your graphics is using 32mb of your 512mb installed memory, increasing the amount of dedicated graphics ram would be a temporary improvement but it would be best to get a proper card

also having a faster cpu would improve your performance, you should have a socket A cpu in which case i think the fastest cpu you could get would be an AMD Athlon XP about 2.6GHz, if not 3GHz

like link590o and Rage_3K_Moiz said, though, upgrading to at least 1gb of ram would help a lot

go on the crucial website (crucial.com) and see what memory your pc takes and has in it at the moment

fyi, AMD Athlon XP is a type of processor, the type that you have, as well as me ;)

I upgraded from 512 to 1gb a few months ago. I'm running windows xp on a middle of the road PC from about 2 years ago. The extra half a gig made a lot of difference. When I do upgrade I'm going for 2 x 1gb dual channel low latency ram.

Dave is dead on, your system is pulling from your ram for graphics processing. I have a computer that was doing the same. For what you are doing looks like all you need is a video card with 128mb that will free up your ram so that you have 512, then check to see if you have 256 X 2 currently or 512 X 1 if you have 512 X 1 then you can just add another stick of 512 and you will have 1 gig of free ram -

I found a Radeon 9600 for $50 online and bought a 512 stick of Corsair memory for $26 from outpost.com

so under $100 and you will even be able to do some gaming if you wish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back