does anyone have a HP dv6205 with XP installed on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pretty unlikely since this laptop ships with Vista, but I'm sure it can be done. Why?

it ships with vista today, although i think it shipped with XP last month cause vista is very new. I formatted my drive an installed xp on and the problem is i cant find the dirvers for the wireless card and video card and so for XP. I called HP and they said they would not send me the CD for XP cause i purcahsed it with vista

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own. ;)

HP doesn't have the drivers listed for XP on their website, which leaves me to believe it may have always had Vista?

Vista drivers are here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3340160&lang=en

These drivers may give you some clues on what to look for when downloading drivers. Things like, "Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset Family Driver" are dead giveaways on what to be looking for, while others are a little more ambiguous.

Since HP does not have the drivers, you'll have to go to different websites. The graphics driver, for example, can probably be found on Intel's website.

Rick is dead on. HP won't provide XP drivers, but the original manufacture of the part does. Try using Everest to discover what is the original manufacture.

how do i use Everest and where can i get it

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own. ;)

tweaks_sav that is a good option actually. I use Everest alot too.However hasn't it gone premium and you have to buy it or something? You could try download.com?

You can still get the free Everest programme from HERE. However, since the free programme is no longer supported by Lavalys, I don`t know if it`ll identify your system correctly, but I guess it`s worth a try.

You might also want to give the free SIW programme a try.

Regards Howard :)

Disclaimer: None of this information should be assumed to be correct or complete.

First unless you have some compelling reason just go to the BIOS and disable SATA.

1. F10 | System Config | SATA Native Support | [Disable] | [Save]
2. Load XP
3. Load XP SP 2
4. Go to the link below and download the drivers for the dv6205
5. First you are going to need the Network Card (ntelPro100) drivers or you aren't going to be able to do jack. Oh, and you are going to have to put it on a CD from another computer because your network card isn't working and neither is your USB, so forget the thumb drive.
6. Most of the drivers that I loaded were from the dv9000 site (I am assuming they have the same board).
7. (dv9000) Network, Video, Chipset, Card Reader, Wireless (dv6000)FaxModem, Audio
8. With the Audio load the 'Microsoft Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) Bus Driver for High Definition Audio' before the 'Conexant High Definition Audio Driver'
9. Don't bother with the Bluetooth or TV Card drivers the dv6205 has none.
10. You'll notice between the dv6000-dv9000 site that most of these are the same downloads.
11. Any error corrections or additions please post.

I think I have located the drivers for the HP dv6205
dv9000 drivers:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1842189&lang=en

dv6000 drivers:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1842155&lang=en

XP is fully loaded and works great.
Oh, and a special thanks to HP and MS for making life difficult for ALL OF US!

Thanks

Thanks, I'm in the same boat, I've just bought dv6205us and trying to install xp. I've formated HD but could not install SATA driver. will try below and let you know. thanks

joined the club

I was disgusted with the performance of Vista on my new 6205us laptop.

this post really helped change my mind. i blanked the hard drive, booted up xppro and reinstalled. I downloaded the drivers, most of the from the 9000 model laptop link above.

I missed the detail about the SATA bios setting at first, but you HAVE to turn it off at first.

ALL my components on the laptop work 100%. even the remote for the IR.

Xppro on this machine flies, and I highly recommend everyone does this.

i can not get the audio working on mine, what audio drivers did u guys download and was there any trick to installing it

Hey all, I've never actually posted here before, but after reading this thread, I decided to register. I just want to say that after dealing with Vista for a full week, this thread is a GODSEND. Tripower, I could kiss you for finding that those drivers were the same. I seriously thought I would have to revert back to Vista because I couldn't find them anywhere. Thank you so much.

Ok I got it installed on my DV6205US here’s what I did

First I could not format the partition that vista was on, so what I did is went into the bios and moved the USB floppy drive to boot first.
Then I connected my USB floppy drive and botted of a windows 98 boot disk, the disk did it's thing and went into the dos and then it said A:/
After that we typed Fdisk and we got the dos format disk screen. We deleted the non-logical drives and formatted as one partition drive.

After that we restarted and changed the Sata (Dissabled) setting in the bios to install windows xp. As mentioned above by tripower (THANK YOU)
Put in the win xp cd booted off it and bam started to pick up on it, then we quick formatted the disk once again with windows xp in the setup screen using quick format NTFS and after that it was just a breeze. :) Everything seems fine and dandy no probs downloaded the newest drivers from HP for the sound card and video card and everything seems fine. Enabled the SATA in the bios did a windows update and got everything to run hope it helps you all in the future.

Dreamergear and Hyperd

I Want To Do The Same With My dv9000

I purchased a new WD SATA 120GB HDD with the intention of installing XP Pro in this laptop as soon as I got it. When I first ordered this machine I asked HP if they could install XP Pro and they denied my request *no surprise there*. My issue is that after I f6 the Intel ICH7M drivers (which is the only way I found to get XP Setup to even see the HDD), when setup begins to examine the HDD I get a message asking me to insert the floppy disc in drive A: for Intel Matrix Storage Manager. I found this driver, inserted it into the USB floppy and hit enter... nothing happens. What am I missing here??

HP tech support has proven to be dilatory at best, I've been waiting on hold to speak to a tech for about 30 minutes now (I actually created my membership to this site and banged out this message during that time). Windows Vista has the potential to be a decent OS... once it grows up that is. This OS should have never been released (forced upon if you happen to buy a new machine after it's release) to the public at this point in time. Third party software vendors haven't had the chance to re-write their programs to support it, and many hardware manufacturers are in the same boat. I know when XP first hit the market it was very well received and the third party vendors were already set up for it's introduction. It's almost like good ol' Gates took the world by surprise by releasing Vista at this time... nobody seems ready for it yet.

Thanks for the other post really help. I ran DBAN though to wipe the drive clean and remove partitions. Took long but I think it was worth it.

dreamergear said:
Enabled the SATA in the bios did a windows update.

How did you get this to work? I enabled the SATA in the BIOS and it would not boot, it couldn't "see" the HDD.

DId any get the QuickPlay thing to work?

SATA Legacy Support in the BIOS must be disabled in order to successfully load XP... that is the only way I could get it to work. Attempting to re-enable SATA Legacy Support after XP has loaded is equally fruitless, as you will end up with a Blue Screen Of Death with a message saying that Windows has detected a hardware problem and will be shut down to prevent hardware damage. I have seen no difference with SATA legacy support, so I'm comfortable with leaving it off.

I loaded all available XP drivers for my dv9000 from HP's site; almost all of them work. I had to get the WLAN driver from Intel's site because the only WLAN drivers HP had were for a Broadcom and my dv9000 has an Intel PRO Wireless AGB. All of the quickplay buttons work except for the DVD button and the counter-clock arrow (HP QuickPlay) button. The IR transceiver works as it should, as does the media card reader/writer. The HP Pavilion web cam was irky until the second or third reboot, then began working properly. I haven't touched the TV Tuner card yet, but I did download the XP drivers for it. I installed Media Portal 2007 (a third party open source application) and it works well.

I'm willing to deal with the minor inconveniences... this for me is only a temporary set-up until Vista becomes more compatible with the rest of the world. Granted, IMHO XP is still faster and more efficient... but like Win 95 and even Win 98/ME it is only a matter of time before third party software and hardware vendors won't even support XP anymore. Vista's here to stay *sadly*; I only hope that the first service pack will significantly improve how quickly Vista boots up and lessen the sheer amount of rescources it uses just to run. (Boots up much more slowly than XP, has 50 some odd processes running without the user opening anything and uses almost 3/4 gig of RAM... JUST for the OS!!!)

Right I got everything running super thanks to the directions above. As for the Quickplay I have since found out how through some other boards. Seems like you to partition about 1 gb unformatted right after the xp partition. Then get the link for QP 2.1. As for the SATA I don't care

6205us drivers

Does anyone know exactly what devices and drivers i should dowload for win xp for the dv6205us? I didn't write them down before i uninstalled vista.
Thanks!

HP's site should have a pretty comprehensive list of drivers for your machine... that's where i found most of the drivers for my dv9000

georgeg said:
Does anyone know exactly what devices and drivers i should dowload for win xp for the dv6205us? I didn't write them down before i uninstalled vista.
Thanks!

Well you need to get the Intel/PRO100 driver for the NIC card. Easy way is get that driver, burn it to a CD from another computer. With that you can get most drivers from the links listed above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back