Does Nero 6 (any version) work in Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNGX1275

I tried to google this, I came up with: a ton of crap about beta versions of Vista, a post on cnet saying yes, a post on cdrinfo saying no, and a download on afterdawn listing Vista in the OS list. So basically, inconclusive.

I can install it and find out, but I am always reluctant to install stuff like that because I'm not convinced that uninstalling it removes everything.

Installing Nero 7 is an option I'd like to avoid because I bought Nero 6 and would like to keep using it. If it comes to buying Nero 7 I may just skip that alltogether and use Vista's built in capability, and hope that something like CDBurnerXP Pro works with Vista.

Nero 6 OEM Bundle version does not, if I remember right. I've only built one Vista system so far, and that was nearly two months ago. I'm pretty sure I remember it getting a critical error on startup though, and my Nero 6 coaster disc would verify that. I don't know how different Nero 6 retail is from the OEM bundle, though.

In fact OpenOffice is the only program I managed to get to work with no hiccups.

Personally I really enjoyed Vista's built in burning features, I guess to each his own.

I finally got around to testing it. I coudln't get 6.0.0.0 to start, it complained abotu not being compatable, so I didn't force it to install. Then I tried the upgrade install of 6.6.1.16 or something and it complained too, so I just think it isn't going to work. I thought about trying to force it, but it wasn't worth my trouble. I recently put XP on an extra hd I had and slapped it in a linux machine, so I'll just use it.

I'll keep imgburn in mind, thanks.

Only Nero lite works on Vista. Nero tries to install DirectX 9 while Vista already has DirectX 10 and also causes some hangups in the registry.

One other thing, once installed, goto the program in the start menu, right click on it, goto properties, and enable "run this program as administrator" to make sure that there are no other problems.

Hope this helps ya'll ;)

You could get it to work...

To install something on Vista and make it work as on previous versions of windows lick on the .exe's shortcut and go into "Proprieties" then go in the Compatibility Tab and choose the version of win that is compatible with software! Run and it will work!

I'm not 100% certain I tried that since it was over a year ago, but I'm pretty sure I did. I knew about compatibility mode back then but that is really just used for simple applications/games. Not for a pretty involved piece of software like Nero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back