Don't run GodMode in Vista

superty12

DO NOT run GodMode in Windows Vista! I tried it on this Acer Aspire OS Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 and Windows Explorer stopped working. Don't do it. It will make Explorer stop working! Just a warning for you.

Your post is enough to warrant caution, but at this point I'm skeptical. If it was such a 'danger' then I think the community would have heard about it by now.

OK, I'm gonna jump in with this, "don't run Vista, and you won't have any problems with God Mode"! :rolleyes: No. really...

*providing voiceover work here*

Ladies and gentlemen, if you have tried Vista for any reason whatsoever and found that it does not meet your strict criteria for operating programs that used to run perfectly under XP, then we here at Redmond can only suggest one thing...

Step away from the computer and RUN!!! It will self-destruct in five seconds...

Have your Windows XP CD handy and call 1-888-WIN-HELP. The call is free, the consultation is free, and even the remote assistance is free. Call now!!!

The preceding was a fictional advertisement. Do not attempt to call the advertised as there is no available operators to pick up your call and answer your questions. As a matter of fact, don't bother looking at this because they were all fired in 2007.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled reading.

*end of voiceover work*

My first experience with Vista was at Best Buy. I wanted to find the specs of the computer I was looking at. I spent about 10 minutes looking and couldn't find them, whereas I would have found them in seconds on XP. It was about this time that I realized Vista really did suck.

You do the exact same thing to find your system specs as in XP: Start>Control Panel>System. It's just my preference, but I like Vista much better than XP.

In Windows XP I'd just right-click on My Computer and go to Properties. There was no My Computer. And it didn't show up in a search either. I was baffled.

Mind you, this was before I ever opened up the control panel (which I never did before getting a job working on computers about a year ago).

It's just called "computer," not "my computer." It's actually in the start menu on the right in vista, and you can right-click it there.

Remember, someone fresh off XP with little computer management experience wouldn't even think you could right-click something on the start menu. And who'd think to look there when it's always been right on the desktop?

My point is, it was extremely frustrating spending all that time without being able to find something that I could find in seconds on XP.

Now that I know where and what it is, it takes seconds. And that's the thing with Vista. For someone new to PCs, who's being taught by someone with experience on the OS, it's easy once you're shown how. But for people who've been using XP for years without trouble, Vista, as well as Office 2007 and Office 2008 for Mac, is a complete nightmare. Heck, I still don't know much about Office 2007.

Y'know what else is stupid? In Vista, you can't throughput the audio from an external device, through a recording program, to speakers. You have to record it first, and then you can listen to it.

I understand your point, but I can't imagine that moving from XP to Vista would be any more difficult than from XP to W7. You would have a bit of trouble at first with any OS change, so I would not put that down as a strike against Vista.

I completely agree with your point about Office 2007. With the new ribbon layout it takes me about twice as long to find everything, although I suppose that's because I have not used it enough to have memorized the location of everything.

I can't say I have done any recording in Vista, so I won't try defending it on that point.

*providing voiceover work here*

Ladies and gentlemen... <snip>

@ChinoNYC
LOL. :haha: That was funny :)

@Back to the thread
I run a dual boot machine: Windows XP / Windows 7 and must admit i still spend most of time (and still prefer) running under XP BUT i'll also add I know that's largely because after all these many, many years of using Win XP and learning to dig into it and "under the covers" it's more work learning some of the new User Interfaces in Vista/Win 7 plus many of "Windows system internals" now work different then it did under XP (driver requirements, security implentations, etc.) so is easy to stay much more comfortable with XP and its "innards"

But us ol' XP die hards will catch up with everything eventually :)

To reiterate, if you don't run Vista, you will not have trouble with "God Mode".

I am a convert to Windows 7. Mostly because "Media Center" is standard, and it will play DVD-Video, plus whatever other garbage video format I've run into.

I suppose I'm a sucker for the polish of Win 7's Aero GUI, XP appears a bit clunky when you return to it.

Oh yeah, the new taskbar is groovy.

I don't feel I have as much control over startup programs and running processes though.

Back