Download of the Week: SMPlayer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

VLC supports a plethora of codecs out of the box, it can transcode files from one format to another or even rip DVDs, is available on multiple platforms, and was recently updated to include GPU decoding. For the longest time I've been a fan of this versatile media player, and thus I haven't really bothered to look elsewhere for my video playing needs. However, I've also found that on occasions it can be a bit sluggish when starting or skipping around videos (especially with .mkv files).

Looking for alternatives I stumbled upon SMPlayer, which is a multi-platform multimedia player front-end for MPlayer. It may not have all the bells and whistles that VLC or other players do, but it's light on resources, easy to use and seems to work smoother when it comes to video playback and rendering subtitles. That's not to say SMPlayer is lacking features, though. In fact, one thing I really liked is that it remembers the settings of all files you play. You can start watching a movie, close it, and then resume at the same point you left off with the same settings: audio track, subtitles, volume, etc.

Other features include audio and video filters support, playlists, multiple speed playback, video equalizer, automatic subtitles search in opensubtitles.org, configurable keyboard shortcuts, and more. Available for Windows and Linux, installation is pretty straightforward and lets you download all the latest MPlayer codec packages during the process. If you're looking for an alternative to your current media player, don't hesitate to give SMPlayer a try.

There are quite a few media players out there that are also worth mentioning -- KMPlayer, Zoom Player, Media Player Classic Home Cinema, among others. Feel free to share your favorite in the comments and tell us why it's the best.

Permalink to story.

I happen to use Zoom Player. Can't say it's the "best' per se, but it's definitely an improvement over VLC in the playback department.

I was having trouble when skipping around in MKV files with VLC player too, but that's all been fixed with the new 1.1.0 release.

I moved to Mplayer a while ago for my Blu Ray quality MKV files. VLC has trouble seeking and would just break up every once in a great while.

I still love VLC and will go back to them once they solve these problems.

In linux I rotate SMPlayer, VLC and the Ubuntu default. Windows, VLC and Media Player Classic but GOM was my default for a while and still a high quality choice.

SMPlayer is better than VLC. IMO

VLC is too overrated... But meh...

Try SPlayer, Hardware Accelerated too, better quality, Image Smoothing Pixel Shader 3.0, and a very nice option for LCD users, Video Levels (16-235 -> 0-255) and also has resume feature when you close a movie and open back the player resumes whre you left it and also auto subtitle search.It replaced KMPlayer for me until they make it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back