Downloading run/save files and or software via IE 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feisty49

Every time I attempt to run a file from the Internet using IE 7, I get the following error message: “Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.” Sometimes I can save the file, instead of running it, but sometimes IE won’t even allow that. The most recent example occurred today at the website www.nystax.gov. I wanted to look at the IT-150 Short Form (listed on the left side of the page), which uses Adobe to read, and I got the above noted message.

This problem started a few weeks, maybe even a couple of months, ago when I upgraded to IE 7.

Please note that the computer which is denying me permission is my personal machine in my home. I am the only person who uses it.

Why dont you try and download the Firefox browser and see if you still get the same error. You can download it from the link below.

EDIT: I would recommend you use Firefox over IE. Its a little more secure!!!

http://www.firefox2007.de/us/

I couldn't make your link work halo71, no place to actually download, even clicking that tab. Why did you link to that rather than http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ anyway?

Plus Opera is better :p

I think the problem is likely due to the default security settings in IE7, but I don't use that browser so I'm not sure what to look for - should be fairly obvious though. If that fails, re-download Acrobat Reader.

Thanks for the replies. I did run the file using Firefox, which I've used as a browser now and then for a couple of years. Thing is, I do prefer IE -- go figure. :) My preference is what it is and I doubt I'll change now so I do wish I could figure out why it gives me problems. By the way, I mentioned that it was an Adobe run that was giving me problems, but it's all files, not just an Adobe read one.

Feisty49,
Go into Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Internet Explorer (No Add-ins) and run it. See if the problems disappear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back