DPC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky Joe

Deffered Procedure Calls, I have no idea what it is but it has been hogging my CPU for the last hour. I noticed my mouse moving erratically when I was trying to point at something so I opened Process Explorer and it said "DPC" is using 45% of my CPU. Anyone have any idea why this would happen? When it started I was disabling my USB Bluetooth device, which I have done before without this problem. Not sure what to do, I can't kill the process of course and can't debug it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks -Joe

DPCs happen inside drivers.

You just have to uninstall devices to see what causes it. Start with your bluetooth - the obvious suspect. Firewalls, antivirus and other things like that are next things to try. (You may have to remove AV/FW components manually from Device Manager after uninstalling). Virtual disk drives, packet sniffers, VPN software install their own drivers..

I uninstalled the Bluetooth and couple other problem programs, still with no luck. Then because my speakers weren't working since the problem started I updated my audion drivers, and presto, problem solved. Thanks for the input, I liked the bluetooth, but don't think I'll install again, software had too many bugs(widcomm).

You can always use the Microsoft Bluetooth stack (comes with XP SP2).. IMO it sucks even more than Widcomm's, but that may be just me :p

I only use the dumb thing for my phone, to pull off pictures and put on ringtones, but the Motorola software(Phone Tools 4.0) sucks too, so I guess I'll just go without.

My girlfriend's new laptop(I haven't read the manual yet) has a bluetooth button on it, but when I push it it says "no devices found" even when my phone and hers is discoverable. Is it common for newer laptops to have bluetooth built in? If so why?

Maybe she has a cheaper model without a BT device? They are not going to strip off buttons because of that - you may get curious and buy the bloody BT add-on anyway ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back