DRAM Memory timings

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilloz

After 4 years with this computer, I finally made timing adjustments to my DRAM per various websites comments relating to the PC2100 RAM. My question is, if any one of the timings is too low or too high, what is the worst case scenario that I can experience with the operation of my computer? As of this writing, it has been 2 hours since the adjustments and nothing so far. I am not a gamer so how can I test if there has been any improvement to my system by making these changes? Thanks.

Hi
You can corrupt data irretrievably by running outside the ram's ability. I always set mem settings with memtest86. You can dl if you don't have it, and boot from memtest and it will show you a memory bandwidth score, as well as check for errors.
What I do is nudge the settings, note the error-free mem score via a complete pass, and see if tightening up the timings causes a better score or any errors. You might find the memory score tapers off with reduced timing or increased fsb before you get errors, so be aware of that. What you want is best score with no errors. I try for 6/2/2/2 in most every case. I leave it run overnight to vett any system destined for use as a server, but one error free pass through memtest is enough for me on other systems such as game boxes.

You can also dl ultimatebootcd and make a bootable cd, it has memtest included. It's my single fav utility for diagnostics, having many memory and drive utes and so on.

like Blakhat said to you, you might corrupt you operating system and some other drivers, if you go out of its range. plus you can also distroy the ram itself.you can also slow the machine if it goes beyond it normal timing.So i wouldn't recommend that.Memtest86 is good to use.Wish u luck

the worst case scenario is you'll burn your ram out.
There should be no reason to adjust timings at all.
leave it alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back