Driver Education

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henipatra

My "name" is Henipatra and I'm new here.

I'm going to need to start writing some device drivers.

Are there some web sites out there that explain how? I'm going to need to learn everything I can.

Regards,

Henipatra

You need a foundation in writing code or software, methinks, before you get into device drivers. If already there, build on that knowledge and experience. There are many excellent texts on writing code to be used in device drivers... find a text in a computer language familiar to you, then boil down your efforts to the operating software used on the computers and components you are targeting.

You will get pointers on a web site, but you need a lot more than most sites can give you.

Hello Henipatra

Writing device drivers can be quite the challenging task! You're going to need a strong software background (i'd think experience languages like C and C++ would be helpful and/or required)

In addition to the software skills, you'll need a good knowledge of the operating system you are writing drivers for. Can i assume you're asking about Windows? Websites are place to start but you may find hands on courses and seminars extremely useful as well)

For a starting point tho, i suggest you might look through both of these two websites i find quite useful
  • Windows Hardware Developer Central. It's an MS site for developers. It will point you to papers and documentation and development kits for Windows
  • OSR Online. OSR Online is another excellent resource for driver development

Raybay,

Thanks for your concerns but I've been a professional programmer for 25 years. Even so, I know writing drivers is very complicated. I've a lot to learn, so I'd better start now.

What texts are you referring to?

Lookinaround,

I'll check out those web sites. As I do not live in the US, it may be difficult for me to find a course or seminar.

I probably wouldn't do this if I did not have to.

Regards,

Henipatra

Hi Henipatra

Once upon a time, i remember (vaguely at this point! LOL) coding in some of the even more obscure ***OL languages, like Snobol and Algol ;)

Syde,

Everything from COBOL to MFC. (You probably don't even know what COBOL stands for!)

Henipatra
"Common Business Oriented Language" From memory, not from Google! Word.

Now I have a question. If you knew all the answers, before you asked the questions, why bother to post.

Now I have a question. If you knew all the answers, before you asked the questions, why bother to post.

What do you mean? My last question was "What texts are you referring to?"

Here's a new question: at what point do I go from being a newcomer in training to just a newcomer? :)

Regards,

Henipatra

...[ ]...Here's a new question: at what point do I go from being a newcomer in training to just a newcomer? :)
Regards,
Henipatra
Answer, you never go to just newcomer, (I think), you just become a "member". Unless you want to go to newcomer" in which case there's a "site feedback and suggestions" forum where you can plead your case for a special category.

Now answer "B", which is my personal favorite:
Syde,

Everything from COBOL to MFC. (You probably don't even know what COBOL stands for!)

Henipatra
When you stop talking down to us.

The "you young whipper snapper" thing really doesn't fly. If fact, sometimes they don't always let me get away with it, and I've been here way, way longer than you. Plus I'm really old.

And "Fortran" stands for "formula translation", this is case you're going to give us a test on that also.

Awww, captain. Don't be so cranky ;)

1) Especially to a newbie with all of 6 posts
2) And as quoted yourself, the post was addressed to Syde (who btw asked in the first place), it wasn't addressed to "us"

Mighty Mouth, er, Mighty Mouse is Here to Save the Day.....!

Awww, captain. Don't be so cranky ;)

1) Especially to a newbie with all of 6 posts.
Here, we disagree. I figure that it's much preferable to let them know what to expect right from the jump. But, you make an interesting point, (as does Henipatra) Perhaps we might change the intake designation from "new comer in training", to "noob", or something else similarly degrading. That way, we could afford ourselves the enjoyment of a hazing ceremony, which after all, has been the inviolable right of so many other organizations, since time immemorial. And to which I might add, they, (the noobs), so richly deserve.
2) And as quoted yourself, the post was addressed to Syde (who btw asked in the first place), it wasn't addressed to "us"
Don't you feel more secure in the knowledge that captaincranky is on patrol, protecting the dignity, honor and feelings of the indolent, incompetent, uninformed, and apathetic here at Techspot? ;) :rolleyes: :haha: :wave:

Answer, you never go to just newcomer, (I think), you just become a "member". Unless you want to go to newcomer" in which case there's a "site feedback and suggestions" forum where you can plead your case for a special category.

Now answer "B", which is my personal favorite:When you stop talking down to us.

The "you young whipper snapper" thing really doesn't fly. If fact, sometimes they don't always let me get away with it, and I've been here way, way longer than you. Plus I'm really old.

And "Fortran" stands for "formula translation", this is case you're going to give us a test on that also.

OK, don't take it so personally. Many of today's programmers look down on COBOL; one news article called it "antiquated" which I felt was unfair. And I asserted (incorrectly) that you didn't know what it stood for; that wasn't a question.

But since we're on the subject of computer history, you ask me something . . . .

Sincerely,

Henipatra

Reminds me.....

On the subject of computer history, I just remembered a link i have to The First Book of Etymology of Programming Patois (EPP by Gary Peterson.

1. In the beginning was the computer.
    The computer was void of instruction and darkness was upon the face of the screen.

2. Engineers said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.
    Engineers saw the light and divided the light from the darkness.
    They called the light Software and the darkness Hardware

3. The prophet Moore foretold of computing hardware whose capacity swelled as its size shrunk.
    Following Moore, the seer Parkinson dreamt of a growing cistern filled with software that incessantly replenished the cistern such that it was forever full. Engineers wereperplexed and dismayed.
...(continued here)....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back