Dual Boot: Win XP with Win 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Windows 2000 installed. I want to install Win XP Professoinal but continue to use Win 2000. At startup, I should be able to choose whether I want to boot into 2000 or XP. Is there a guide somewhere I can read to learn how to do this? After extensive searches, I've only been able to find out how to install Win XP with ME or 98. I'm not sure if that same information applies to Win 2000/XP Dual boot systems.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Hi,

During the installation of XP, it will prompt for the upgrade or new installation, choose new installation initially and specify the partition where u want to install the xp.

It is advicable to install xp in different other than win 2000. On completion of installation, u will be able to select either of the O.S. to start up with.

Be careful, to select new installation rather than upgrade existing one.

:)

but what type of partition do I create? I have partition magic and it wants to know whether to create a logical partition or primary partition?

realblackstuff said:
Create a logical partition of at least 10GB
Hmmm... Does that even matter? I'm multibooting WinME, four times WinXP, and a varying number of Linux installs, all on their own primary partitions (obviously, I need more than one disk to do that...), and it works great. I must add that I don't use the "boot.ini" stuff (I just don't trust it); I'm using GNU GRUB as my boot manager instead.

Until recently, I had been using PowerQuest BootMagic, which worked great, too, but GRUB is more flexible, since it lets me temporarily remap my harddisks at boot time - so I can boot a Windows installation from the second or third disk (which Windows doesn't normally support).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back