Dual Booting Mac OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmos100

Hi Guys,

Bit of a Mac novice here, but I thought I would research this for my tight for cash company.

We need a Mac with OS 10.4 and another Mac with OS 10.5, basically I suggested the idea of dual booting on one computer to save a bit of cash.

Can this be done? Or can this only be done on PCs?

And if you can do it, is it complicated? Our IT department doesn't know much more than me about Macs which is rather concerning, I know.

Thanks in advanced for the help.

Just partition the drive (you can do this even after the OS has been installed), install the second OS on the second partition, and then when you boot you can choose which one you want by holding the option key.

I didn't know it was as simple as that someone at work said it was a lot tougher due to the fact that only certain OSs work with certain computers.

But if it's that easy then I'll pitch it the powers that be, thanks LNC.

It is that simple, fortunately.

But that dude at work does have a bit of validity to what he said. These new Macs that are out this week for instance, I doubt they will run Tiger (10.4). In the past when Apple releases a new computer, whatever OS they have out at the time will be the oldest Mac OS it will accept.

yeah, that's the problem we have unfortunatly we have 2 macs, one with 10.2 and one with 10.3 - none of which my companies software supports!

But I will defo have a chat with of the IT guys and see what they have to say.

Any mac that will run 10.2 or 10.3 will run Tiger. You need at least a G4 to run Leopard, and its supposed to need to be faster than 867Mhz, but in reality you can hack the install disk and get it to run on a slower machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back