Dual channel or same model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a question: is there any real difference between buying two sticks of ram of the same model (obviously same manufacturer) and buying a dual channel kit?
I mean, obviously there's a chance that the chips are from different manufacturers but that's usually unlikely when you're buying them all together.
Is there any other reason? Or am I wrong in the assumption that changes of getting two sticks from different batches are slim to none?

Thanks

No difference, I am using two matched pairs in one of my systems.

At the time of purchase, insist on seeing the modules, have your glasses or a magnifying glass handy, after you confirm they look alike, make sure the chips have identical markings (read what is printed on them with your magnifying tools :) )

Sharam said:
No difference, I am using two matched pairs in one of my systems.

At the time of purchase, insist on seeing the modules, have your glasses or a magnifying glass handy, after you confirm they look alike, make sure the chips have identical markings (read what is printed on them with your magnifying tools :) )

What if you buy them online? :)

It depends on how good a gambler you are!

Is dual channel kits more expensive where you are?

You can make a requests and take a note of it. Tell them you want two identical modules. I know a shopping basket won't respond to your demand but wouldn't hurt to send them an email.

The chances are, if you ordered two sticks of 512MB DDR400 without even asking anything, you'd get 2 identical modules, the only time you won't is when they are finishing one box of RAM and you happen to get the last one then they open a new box which still could be same and again it might not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back