Dual configuration RAM advice needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just after advice on dual configuration RAM:

I'm running an AMD AM2 3800+ on an ASUS-M2MPV-VM board with an ASUS EN7300GS video card, it came with one stick of 1GB DDR2 PC4200 533MHz RAM, I've just bought another stick of generic 1GB DDR2 PC4200 533MHz RAM and was wondering which slot would be best to plug it into. I realise for dual configuration RAM you should use the same make of RAM but I don't have two the same so would I be best to run it as single or dual??
Also, if I should run it as dual does that mean plugging one stick into slot A1 and one into B1? I have four slots A1 and A2 together, and B1 and B2 together.

Thanks for any advice.

You're talking about dual channel RAM right?

Then you'll be able to run the RAM in single channel mode only. For dual channel operation the two sticks need to IDENTICAL.

I would put them in the A1 & A2 slots.

BTW, Welcome to TS!! :)

Regards :wave:

They don't NEED to be identical. I have 2 OCZ sticks and 2 Generic sticks (which were purchased at different times) all running dual channel.

2 sticks need to be IDENTICAL. You have four sticks, so 2 sticks are running in one channel, and the other two are running in another channel.

Yes MetalX,
for true dual-channel operation, the memory modules need to be matched in model and timing and speed specs. You can run anything that fits on the motherboard but you won't be running in true dual-channel mode. Have you ever heard of matched pairs? This term is used in tube audio amps too

wolfram said:
You're talking about dual channel RAM right?

Then you'll be able to run the RAM in single channel mode only. For dual channel operation the two sticks need to IDENTICAL.

I would put them in the A1 & A2 slots.

BTW, Welcome to TS!! :)

Regards :wave:

Thanks for the welcome and cheers for the advice, i've got them in slots A1 and B1 at the mo and it seems to be running a lot faster than when i had just the one stick but i'll try putting them in A1 and A2 and see how that goes. Cheers.

OK, if it's running faster, then leave those sticks there. They should be working in single channel mode.
Maybe you should try to download CPU-Z, and then check the memory tab. It will tell you everything about your PC's memory system.

wolfram said:
OK, if it's running faster, then leave those sticks there. They should be working in single channel mode.
Maybe you should try to download CPU-Z, and then check the memory tab. It will tell you everything about your PC's memory system.

Cheers, i've downloaded CPU-Z and run it, its saying my two RAM sticks are the same bandwidth, size etc and all the timings are identical, does this mean they should run as dual configuration?? It is only the part, serial number and maufacture date that differs??
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back