Displays dual system- dual monitor setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

onesmartidiot

my beloved a64 box has stood by me for 3 years, but now i have to use serious software for school (video editing, flash, photoshop, autodesk) so i need a stronger machine... i still need to figure out the specs ill need but i have one main question at this point, KVM switches.

right now (in the a64) i have a radeon 9800 256 pushing 2 monitors at 1280*1024 and a kvm switch that allows one monitor, the keyboard and mouse to click to my linux box when i hit scroll lock twice fast. is there a such switch that could switch BOTH monitors and keyboard and mouse AND sound between my a64 box and future dual core intel? (or whatever you guys recomend lol)

F1N3ST

You could get a better AMD processor if it is a socket 939 and then there would be no need for a new motherboard, a Skt 939 Athlon X2 would be good, if you dont wanna upgrade ur mobo.

onesmartidiot

nope i have a socket 754, the best i think this thing will hold is a 4300 or fx 51... i built it so long ago i forgot all my research :p

i deffinatly need ddr2 800 mhz memory and about 8 gigs of it (is that possible?) but what makes or breaks the building of a new computer would be if a such kvm switch exists. i basically need the same "iogear switch" only with 2 sets of 2 video imputs and one set of 2 out puts, keyboard and mouse (sound would be nice)

i cant find one on newegg so thats why i wonder if they even exist.

korrupt

They should exsist yes. As for the 8gb's of RAM, yes it is possible yet I highly doubt if you'll ever use over 1gb of it unless you are using EXTREME rendering programs etc.

Regards,

Korrupt

onesmartidiot

i found some iogear kvm switches for dual monitors, their tech support will tell me if theres a dvi version. and my current a64 box has 3 gigs of ddr400, adobe premeier and 3dstudio max boggs this baby down. so ill deffinatly get 8 if i can lol

thanks for the help!

korrupt

If you get ddrII 800mhz, then you should only need 2gb's. If you wanna be sure get 4gb and spend the rest of the money on getting a better video card or something.

Regards,

Korrupt

F1N3ST

It bogs it down becuz of CPU power and not RAM, i have 768MB and have never even used 500mb of it, and i render in 3ds and model and stuff.

onesmartidiot

cpu power?
im guessing you have a celeron d 2.9ghz 32 bit, how could you render with that no problem and i get slower results with my amd 64 bit 2.0ghz with 800mhz fsb? i was told when i built my machine that 64 was more powerful than 32, whats your trick?

MetalX

Try reformatting. If you don't do it every once in a while it really affects your system speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.