DVD burner slowdown! Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm new here. My DVD drive has been working at full speed(16x) for the past two years but suddenly it's gotten really slow. It used to take around 8 minutes to burn a 4.0gb disc but now it takes about 2.5 hours. I tried to figure out what was wrong and all I found out was something about the disc drive being in PIO mode instead of DMA, which is causing the slowdown. So i went into the Device Manager and tried to change it back to DMA, but I can't really do anything.

DMAPIO.jpg

The only two options are "DMA if available" and "PIO only".

Anybody know how I can change the settings back to DMA? Or if this isn't the problem, can anyone suggest any other things that would return my dvd burner to full speed? Thank you!

Optical drives have a high failure rate after the first year. It is likely that yours is just about to fail completely
Fastest fix is to replace the drive... DVD-RW drives now run $34 to $50, and are easily replaced if you have a philips #2 screwdriver.

You have to choose DMA if Avaiable and then reboot. If it jumps back to PIO check the cables and make sure it isn't set to PIO in the BIOS. Take out any scratched disk you may have in the drive. If it STILL goes to PIO then replace the drive.

Also, a smaller screenshot would have been nice. Forcing a scroll to read the text on a screen at 1280x1024 isn't very cool.

Let me add that if manually changing the IDE channel back to DMA transfer mode doesn't stick, then uninstall the channel in the Device Manager. Under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, right click on the controller in question and uninstall it. Reboot and when Windows restarts it will automatically reinstall the device. Now check to see if it is in DMA mode.

thank you for your help! My dvd burner is back up to 16x now :] and sorry, i'll try to post a smaller screenshot next time i need anything. thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back